• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Improve Flow in my tank.

steevwatson

I'm looking to improve the flow in my tank but need some advice on the best way to do this. I have a Rio 300 tank.

At the moment I'm using a tetratech ex1200 plus filter with the spraybar on the right hand of the tank spraying along the length of the tank. The intake is at the same side as the filter. I have noticed there seems to be a dead spot at the bottom of the tank below the spraybar.

Would I be best to extend the spraybar along the back of the tank or should I buy a circulation pump?

If it's a high tech tank you're going to want two of those size filters or a centrifugal pump each running one half of the spray bars running along the back. If it's a low tech and you have high plant mass remove about half of the filter media. A cheaper option but not ideal would be a power head.

If it's a high tech tank you're going to want two of those size filters or a centrifugal pump each running one half of the spray bars running along the back. If it's a low tech and you have high plant mass remove about half of the filter media. A cheaper option but not ideal would be a power head.
Thanks for the reply. It's a low tech tank with capped dirt substrate. It's low light as I only have 2 t8 tubes. I was toying with the idea of trying co2 as I have an FE and reg etc from an old setup but not sure if there's a point. It is heavily planted so that might be cutting down the flow. Do you think taking out some media would make that much of a difference?

Is the dead spot causing an issue? You really only need to think about high tech if you're bothered about fast growth or growing some of the hard plants.

Will reducing the filter media make a difference? Well yes, every time you're fluid flow hits an object and has to turn around it, it loses energy, losing energy reduces the fluid velocity and pressure.Will you notice a hug improvement? No but it might make a difference.

To give you an idea of what in my filter for a 125L tank with both heavy fish and plant stocking.

25.04.15%203%20of%204_zpseeijulpn.jpg

The dead spot is more annoying than anything else. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. I'm not too bothered about fast growth as long as my tank looks healthy. I've only got easy and medium plants because of my fairy low light.

Wow that filter looks almost empty compared to mine. I'll take some media out later and see if that helps.

Mine might be a bit extreme, the pre filter is the important bit as it stops the media in the filter clogging up. Biological oxygen demand is much more important in a planted tank so you want as much oxygenated water flowing around your bacteria media as possible.

I removed just under half of my media today when I was doing a water change. The flow is a bit better now hopefully it's enough.

Hi guys

Just joined not sure where or how I am supposed to be communicating, but hopefully someone will know the answer to my question via this post

Been aquascaping for a year now and have come across an algae in my tank that I cannot find a name for on the Internet

It's defiantly not bga, I have had it before in another tank, not hair, or slime like.....

Really fluffy lightish green lumps that cling to rocks or plants and become detached wen touched.

Any idea

Cheers
3339641b12cdab5fa345870ce61b46ad.jpg

8ff84b841d1d46135e6aa5a78246188b.jpg
cd3ccede1d8c2d18543978af5cb772dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back