• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

In case you missed this in the news

It's been known for long. But that does sound OTT.
Wonder why Russians have gone to this lengths when most reefers have some toxins in their tank and even loads of palytoxin in some

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

First i would always say its great to have the potential dangers out there for all to see so thanks for posting the link.

I have palys of the type that definitely contain the toxin and to be honest most of these incidents are caused by the stupidity of the people in question (although it is often because they simply aren't aware). There was a chap in America who boiled his rock releasing the toxin in the steam. You have to either breath in/ingest the toxin or have it enter the blood via cuts but given simple basic precautions they aren't much of a health risk.

I'm surprised these inverts aren't either better controlled or publicised.

"Invasion of the Killer Coral."

I broke down my marine tank last weekend (ahead of joining team planted) - still here :) although I was very cautious around the Zoa's I had to be fair.

So some amatures who did zero research just dive straight in and start ripping corals out of a tank? Morons.

People who don't research things before jumping in to something deserve what they get I'm afraid. It's not hard either, is it?

"Ok Google! How to remove corals from a marine tank?"

Sorted.

An extreme reaction but you do need to be careful around some zoas

When I had my marine system I got caught out a couple of times where I inadvertently touched my lips after moving them. Nothing looked to have happened but I had an awful metallic taste in my mouth for an hour and my lips felt like I was Lesley Ash!

An extreme reaction but you do need to be careful around some zoas

When I had my marine system I got caught out a couple of times where I inadvertently touched my lips after moving them. Nothing looked to have happened but I had an awful metallic taste in my mouth for an hour and my lips felt like I was Lesley Ash!

Reminds me of my mate. He dived straight in to marine and to be fair, done everything right and has an awesome tank. In the beginning though he washed a filter he bought with his tank out under the hot tap and we all started winding him up saying he's poisoned himself and he didn't come in the next day to work. He said he had tingling lips, felt sick and dizzy. I think it was more a mental thing because he was on google that night researching if he could get toxins out of filter sponges. :joyful:

It's like with everything in life - you must take precautions and question everything before doing it.

Back