• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Indostomus paradoxus

BigTom

A quick video here of my newest favourite fish, Indostomus paradoxus. These guys are awesome, halfway between a pipefish and a stickleback, and only 2.5cm long. I currently have half a dozen of them in a 30cm cube.

Had major problems with dim lighting and reflections trying to film these little dudes, one or two shots are in focus though :hilarious:

ghostsword said:
Great tanks, I've never seen these fish before... :)

What do they eat?

Really small things :lol:

Live foods only, but they have really tiny mouths... they're mainly eating the cyclops living in the tank at the moment, along with whatever other 'invisible' stuff is in there. Even daphnia/ostracods are too big for them. Have got some micro/banana/walter worm cultures going now, hope they'll take those. Apparently newly hatched artemia also work.

Great fish for a self-sustaining setup.

Fantastic, I will pop in on Monday to check it out. I think that they would be a good addiction for a messy tank I have, messy as it is full of moss, wood and ferns, barely see the galaxy rasboras. :)

Fun times in the toothpick tank – saw some vigorous courtship displays a couple of days ago, and today spotted a fry about 6mm, so presumably from an earlier mating.

For the record; pH 6ish, 30ppm, 23 degrees. Tank shared with a trio of Parosphromenus and fed almost exclusively on micro/banana worms.

BigTom said:
Fun times in the toothpick tank – saw some vigorous courtship displays a couple of days ago, and today spotted a fry about 6mm, so presumably from an earlier mating.

For the record; pH 6ish, 30ppm, 23 degrees. Tank shared with a trio of Parosphromenus and fed almost exclusively on micro/banana worms.

Thats awesome, that look pucker, what filteration do you have noticed little water movement, so assume a HOB? read that they can take 215ppm TDS and up to 7.5 ph, which is pretty decent for tap water really.

sr20det said:
BigTom said:

Thats awesome, that look pucker, what filteration do you have noticed little water movement, so assume a HOB?

There's a little Dennerle corner filter in there, turned down to lowest flow.

they really are something special. Your cube looks pristine as well. 30 ppm is pretty extreme and so is their feeding regime but they are fascinating. Tom does it again. Brilliant.

darren636 said:
they really are something special. Your cube looks pristine as well. 30 ppm is pretty extreme and so is there feeding demands but they are fascinating. Tom does it again. Brilliant.

The water params are just using tap water and an active substrate. The fish themselves are pretty adaptable - http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/in ... paradoxus/

Another Attenborough-esque video; an interesting insight in to the behavior of these little dudes. I think I'd need a tank with a convex lens front to see them without the benefit of your video.

man..... I was glued to my laptop looking at these guys last night.... Not a good sign....

Lovely little fish, I suppose it'd be too much to be small interesting and good in high turnover tanks! One for a species project I think! Great video, brilliant fish!

Back