• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

-Initiation-

Calotype

Seedling
Hi,

Let's go for my first aquascaping !!

I'll update the spec later.
The hydrocotyle Verticillata is still in it's pot, I hoped this plant was littler. I don't know yet what I will do with it.
Picture is Day +2. Water became cloudy during the night between Day 0 and Day 1 and still the same for now.

IMG_7318.jpg

Mathias.

This looks really pretty! Gives me the feeling of spring :) Will surely be following how it evolves.

Lähetetty minun GT-I9305 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Hello,

Thanks for your replies !

Here is Day +10

-One week ago I had very littles bubbles of brown algae growing between soil and HC , I don't care about it which seems to be normal at begin and not agressive growing.

-3 days ago starts hairy green algae ( I don't know if it's the correct name ) mainly on the roots and white sand, few on leaves. I don't like it, growing is fast. I made super tool to remove it, I'll post a new thread about it !!!.
As a beginner it's hard to me to find the good equilibrium of light and CO2 .
About the light I do like Viktor Lantos a short 7 hours a day, but not in a all black room outside those 7 hours ( but the tank's is not front windows, themselves north side). The light is a Generic Aquasky 36w/3600 lumens ramp led with a dimmer wich I down power one level under maximum.

- Co2 is very hard to tell because between green, green and green... for sure it's not blue and not yellow ! Indicator used is classic Co2 solution ready to use. I did a classique 1 bubble /secondes, then 2 bubble secondes maybe this help my green algae.

Water (100% RO) changes was 25 litres every 2 days for a "classique 60-P" ( 67 litres theorical, 60x31x36cm), maybe not enough for the first week.

What I 'm seeing is a nice growing of HC, and nice growing of Rotalas ( new leaves) but I was surprised about the stem growing as the plant was looking for light ... Rotala rotundifolia are more concerned than the sp green wich seems normal.

Now I need your opinions about what I want to do with my rotalas,because I guess I already should do my first triming.

I don't want a forest or a dense bunch of rotalas.
Now the "base" with old (emerged) leaves is nice rooted in soil but I thought to cut half the plant, unroot all of them and re-plant only the upper part. Also I just received my rotala colora to replace most of the rotundifolia.

What do you think about to do it in this way ? is it good ? is it safe at this young age of tank ? I just start EI fert today.
What do you think about green algae, too much power light over CO2 or the reverse ? not enough water change ?

Thank you for your advices !!

IMG_7359.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Calotype,

Scape looks great your plants are growing nicely :thumbup:

With the Rotalas I would just trim down to a couple of inches above the substrate and let it regrow from there. You will soon get fresh new growth as its a fast growing stem plant. I think it better than disturbing the substrate at this stage?

Great Algae link

http://www.aquariumalgae.blogspot.co.uk/

Hope you sort thing out :thumbup:

Thank you for you answer !

Following the link you shared, I set up the lily pipe upper , close to the surface because I have a "breakable surface film", Hope this help

Also, because 100 % RO water my KH is very low , around 1, so i'll add some bicarbonate to level it up to KH 3-4 . Probably this cause shifting pH wich can help algae !
My water is very calcareous, I won't use it to level up my KH because I had really bad experience in classic aquarium about this water and all the limestone deposit it does on everywhere ( glass, pump, pipe..) that I hate because trying to clean it make scratches on glass or other unpleasantness .

Just start today EI from Aquariumplantfood, I bought the starter kit !
But I use EasyCarbo from Day 1 !

Last edited:
Hi,
One thing interesting, just the fact to level up the outline lily pipe to the surface already made a difference ! From the Day1, after each night time, my Co2 checker always keeps it's green color.
Since this mod it was blue this morning . This mean the mod seems really benefic about gaz exchange ( I have a solenoid controling CO2 working with light time).
In one hand I guess this is very good as better oxygenation. Maybe in an other hand it is not so good in my case because my low KH may probably create more pH shifting.

When do you think I could put amano shrimp and otocinclus in it ? Today is Day +12

Back