• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Injured nerite

Karacticus

So, over a week ago, one of my larger nerites got its foot ripped off by the inlet pipe. By the time I saw it, I assumed it was already dead as much of it had been pulled through into the pipe, and it was impossible to remove it without it losing most/all of its foot. There was another snail in a similar predicament, and I'm sure it lost some of its foot too.

I left both snails on the substrate and one of them wandered off, seemingly okay.

The other one, I assumed was dead, but when I went to remove it a day later, it seemed to be still alive and drew its operculum in when I gently touched it. It has remained like this for over a week now.

Is it possible that it is regenerating itself? Or is it dying slowly from lack of food and its injury?

If the latter, what's the most humane way of ending it? Would clove oil work if I got some?

I have since moved some foliage away from the pipe.

Thanks

Mark

Is it possible that it is regenerating itself? Or is it dying slowly from lack of food and its injury?
Just my opinion, but considering the damage you detailed, it will probably die. That's an assessment and decision you will have to make though.

If the latter, what's the most humane way of ending it? Would clove oil work if I got some?
I've never quite grasped what makes a killing humane. The no pain component I suppose. The way I do this is to put the animal in a glass of water with ice or in a chest freezer (-15C / -20C). Their metamolism will come to a halt fairly quick. The other method which is slightly more grotesque but known to be the least painful one is to chop the head off with a well sharpened butcher knife, that is if we are talking about fish but I can understand not everyone is thrilled to see their loved pets go in a gory fashion. For snails that might be difficult though since they are hidding. We, in France, have around 3 centuries of expertise with chopping heads off. Unfortunately, it was abolished in the early 80's but I wouldn't be against re-instating it for severe cases. I digress.
Clove oil will do the job fine too.

Last edited:
Back