• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

inline diffuser before canister filter

Rabb.D

hello,

i was just wondering whether it is okay to put the inline diffuser before the canister filter and allow co2 to diffuse in the canister?

Hi,
some say yes, others say the c02 effects the rubber seals within the filters and can break them down over time.
Many do run inline pre filter though.
Ady.

Hi,
Have a read of the thread viewtopic.php?f=37&t=18533

As pointed out by Paul, the only real disadvantage of having the diffuser upstream of the filter is that the water is dirty and can clog your diffuser more quickly than if it were mounted downstream of the filter where the water is cleaner. The rest of the thread discusses these other issues.

Cheers,

Hi,
Rabb.D said:
so it wont decrease bacterial activity
From what i understand of the process, if its aerobic bacteria you are referring too then high levels of c02 dont effect oxygen levels, the two can be at good concentrations side by side therefore those bacteria wont be effected. The concentration of c02 in the water will be the same weather diffused in the tank or inline, its just inline gives better distribution and to a degree more time to 'dissolve' into the water before you see it.
Cheerio,
Ady.

ceg does it best! :woot: How he remembers and knows where to find these links astonishes me.... that link answers all your questions.

Back