• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Introducing Amano shrimp into tank

Rob P

Sorry for the simpleton question folks, I've a few amanos coming on Friday and haven't added shrimp to a hi tech tank before.

Do i need to do anything special, eg lights and gas off for the day?

Cheers,
Rob

Best way to add livestock especially shrimp is to drip acclimatise them over a few hours, shrimp in bucket and start a slow drip from tank with some airline with a knot in it to slow flow down is the easiest way, use a clothes peg to keep the airline in place, I use my tds meter to match tank water to shrimp water, does the job.

Hey rob,
Yep, I'd turn both lights co2 off for the day you intend to introduce.
Pour shrimp into a Brita filter jug or similar, and use air pump hose and a airline tap to drip feed tank water into the jug.
I'd personally do this, dripping once every few seconds, over a period of 2-3 hours, just to break 'em in gently.

Cheers,
N

Best way to add livestock especially shrimp is to drip acclimatise them over a few hours, shrimp in bucket and start a slow drip from tank with some airline with a knot in it to slow flow down is the easiest way, use a clothes peg to keep the airline in place, I use my tds meter to match tank water to shrimp water, does the job.

Snap goes the weasel.

Reactions: tim
I've only ever done it manually with a syringe........ Every couple minutes 1m of water from the tank...... Tedious :D

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Is it worth guaranteeing shrimp I ask..although it's unlikely they have come in contact with fish while in transit, I understand they can carry fish born diseases or parasites for 24hrs or have I been misinformed ?

Is it worth guaranteeing shrimp I ask..although it's unlikely they have come in contact with fish while in transit, I understand they can carry fish born diseases or parasites for 24hrs or have I been misinformed ?

I've never heard of anything like that Trevor. But possibly.

I always add my shrimp when the c02 is on...I float the bag and cup water in every 15 mins, I find this way the shrimp get used to the c02 in the water quicker. Touch wood, I have never lost any Amanos doing it this way. I add the shrimp after about an hour.

It maybe not the best way, but is works for me.

Rob! I'm just about to rip my tank down, i have 8 - 10 Amano's you can have if you like?

Ah hell mate, I've just paid for 8 today and not cheap! Would all of them be too many?

Ps, very kind offer by the way mate! :)

Think he means quarantining :)

lol yes, thanks to the auto spell check trick I approved guaranteeing instead of quarantining :oops:, but surely I'm partly excused as I'm two hours later in the night than you ? Come to think of it, it would be rather nice to purchase shrimp with a six month guarantee ! :D

Reactions: tim
Ah hell mate, I've just paid for 8 today and not cheap! Would all of them be too many?

Ps, very kind offer by the way mate! :)

Out of interest how much do they cost in the UK ? Here in S.Africa all fresh water shrimp are sadly black listed..

Well i couldn't find any local so mail order which bump costs right up. Cost me about £30 for 8 including postage, postage was £8.

I always add my shrimp when the c02 is on...I float the bag and cup water in every 15 mins, I find this way the shrimp get used to the c02 in the water quicker. Touch wood, I have never lost any Amanos doing it this way. I add the shrimp after about an hour.

Interesting, I've had issues with both fish and shrimp additions this way, if drip them over a couple of hours they seem to settle well with co2 on, go figure :lol:

Sorry Ian, missed your post. Planet Inverts seems to agree along the lines of your method rather than the drip one too lol. ;)

Back