Is a blackout necessary?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by aaronnorth, 31 Jul 2008.

1. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

I have BBA and spyrogyra, on James' algae article, it says a blackout for the spyrogyra, is there any other way?

I know the cause, my CO2 ran out while i was away, high lighting and heavy ferts dont go well as you know,

2. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Excel or Easycarbo should help knock these back coupled with removing as much as you can manually.

3. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

Another visit to AE :rolleyes:

I removed as much as i could today with a 50% w/c i cant see anynore BBA but you never know, it wasnt as bad as i thought, thank god

4. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Excel overdose should remove it as a short term fix.

Sam

5. JamesM

JamesM Member

Can someone ban Mr. Spam? :rolleyes:

Removed the post and banned him. Ed Seeley.

6. Dusko

Dusko Member

I experienced Spirogyra in my 11 galls medium-light. This aquarium is dosed with Easy Carbo 5-6 times a week and Tropica+NP 2-3x a week. Planted mostly with Cryptos. The only plant which got this algae was a few remaining stems of Rotala rotundifolia which didn't show deficiency symptoms.
    Easy Carbo didn't help in my case since it was dosed regularly. Actually at that time I was dosing EC with the original EC dosing cup, which makes dosing difficult for smaller tanks because it is hard to see 2ml, and for that reason I would always go with 2,5ml at least sometimes even more (nowadays I use a syringe for precise dosing).

As stated earlier, I dosed EI for this tank but didn't perform often 50% WC. Also, my surface agitation wasn't that good.
    I removed all the algae manually (which was very easy), performed a 50% WC, improved the surface agitation and the algae didn't return.
    There is one thing I did at the same time but didn't pay any attention to it and could also be very important, KH.
    You see, my tap water is very soft 3.5-4KH (4GH) and I never dosed any bicarbonates to this tank until the algae appeared. Could this be one of the reasons which triggered Spirogyra?

Some might say it was the NH4. I am not sure because I have a clay based substrate in this tank from Aquatic Nature "Ferti Soil". Clay has the ability to bind NH4. Hmm... It could be the dirty filter accumulating organics + reducing flow and low O2 levels in combination with low KH.

Regards, Dusko

7. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

thanks, the syrogyra has gone, tiny amounts of BBA, but that is going quickly, i am overdosing excel and running CO2 high, verything is back to normal now.

James, who is mr.spam?

8. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

There was a spam post in this thread but I deleted it and banned him!

9. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

nice work 8)

10. JamesM

JamesM Member

Top bombing bud 8)

11. PM

PM Member

BTW I have never blacked out, and find spot dosing (with a syringe), Excel with the filter off for a while far more effective (and cheaper) than just dumping some in the tank every day!

12. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

starteed that 2 days ago :)