• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is a Skimmer needed?

Becksy

Good morning - I have my p60 tank dark starting at present and I keep getting a layer of brown dust/scum on the surface of my water. My room is quite a dusty room as the fire place draws the dust from the house. My question is - is the use of a skimmer for the purpose of ridding dust of the surface or meant for other uses. Sorry for the stupid question. I just need to know if I need a skinner or not. Funny thing is the tank is under a box and blankets so god knows how the dust is getting in lol.

David.

That’s what I’m wondering - this is my first tank so it’s all knew. I’ve got white mould on my reed wood so I’m guessing that’s the skum.

Attachments

• 02434B6F-CDA5-461A-B128-4258BA8FFE68.jpeg
    02434B6F-CDA5-461A-B128-4258BA8FFE68.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 113
Hi
I find skimmers very beneficial.
If you don't want to lift the lily pipe so it breaks the surface I will definitely consider getting one.
I cannot stress enough how important is to ensure good oxygen levels in new setups while your microbal colonies are establishing.
The dust is probably bits of aquasoil floating up
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:
Hi there Konstantin

Thank you for your help, I’m more than happy to lift my Lilly pipe up - but when I tried this yesterday the first hole that broke the surface made a sucking sound and then the filter starting going bonkers. As I’m new to this I’m not sure I was doing it correctly. Do you hold have the first hold of the Lilly pipe just under the surface of the water?

Regards David

Hi
you are lifting the outflow not the intake I hope.
If you lift the intake filter will suck air and thats not good
This bit you lifting up.
02434B6F-CDA5-461A-B128-4258BA8FFE68.png

Regards Konstantin

I was lifting the intake lol. Logic in my not so logical head told me to lift the intake to pull the bits of the surface of the water. But I’m guessing lifting the outlet up will push the surface down under water. The penny dropped lol.

That’s what I’m wondering - this is my first tank so it’s all knew. I’ve got white mould on my reed wood so I’m guessing that’s the skum.
The white mould is common and will dissapear in a week or two. You can also remove it manually if you wish.

The biggest benefit of a skimmer aside from y’know, skimming, is that they promote gasseous exchange, meaning it is easier to keep 02levels high and also off gassing co2 to lower the risk of gassing fish therefore allowing higher co2 levels to be reached.

Regarding oxygen levels, if you have some surface agitation you should be fine without a skimmer - provided you have plants growing in your tank.

I always get a oily layer so I use a skimmer on the filter inlet regardless. I can’t live without a crystal clear water surface.

I suspect the dust is from the aquasoil as well. If left undisturbed it shouldn't release any more dust.

Back