• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is an external CO2 reactor the best method?

Jaap

Hi,

is a good external CO2 reactor better than a glass diffuser, an UP atomizer or an inline atomizer?

Thanks

Not necessarily. It really depends on individual tanks, type of injection, tank size and a bit of personal preference. The external reactors and inline/UP atomizers give good co2 dissolving in the water and then allow it to be spread around the tank with your filter flow. Some people prefer glass diffusers as they are easier to take out for cleaning and are neater for smaller spaces around the filter.

I prefer external reactors for a few reasons. One is 100% dissolved CO2. Everything is dissolved, so even though I get my CO2 for free, I use less. Second is no bubbles in the aquarium. I just don't like it. The water may be 100% clear, but with all the fine bubbles it looks a little cloudy IMO. Third, nothing visible in the aquarium, so it's all about the scape.

That being said, a CO2 (glass or not) diffusor has one big advantage as well. All the microbubbles in the water have one plus point, small particles that cloud the water stick to the small CO2 bubbles. This way they make larger particles and the larger particles are easier to trap for the filter. So in the end the water will get 'more clear' (less suspended micro particles). You pick the advantages you like.

Back