• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is CO2 really worth it??

Mattant1984

I have been toying with the idea of starting with a pressurised co2 system but just like other novice planted aquarium keepers it scares me a little.

I have read various posts on here and watched many YouTube videos to try and learn more about it and I am getting to grips with the basics.

I know it will cost a fair bit of cash to get it going which is fine however I wanted to see if some of you long term hobbyists think it's worth it??

I would say that my low tech tank is doing pretty well however I dont get that lush rapid growth of plants with the amazing colours you see in high tech tanks.

Please let me know the pros and cons of running co2 and is it really worth the extra money and effort??

Many thanks

Last edited:
In a word. Yes.

Is it essential for a nice home aquarium? No.

It doesn’t have to be expensive, tank size dependant, a decent regulator and solenoid you can pick up fairly cheap.
Strideways do a really good regulator that’s inexpensive.
The rest i.e. co2 bottles and diffusers are relatively cheap too.

Thats a great question.
I have just got into CO2 after purchasing plants from one of the guys on the forum. When i opened that packet it was like another level of something i was already passionate about, I had never seen plants so strong and healthy. So within a week i have gone for it.
My tank was already really packed and lush, pretty much what you have been experiencing as well.
I have met lots of little challenges along the way over the last few weeks. For one space is tight for me so i get really annoyed sorting out cables and pipes and all that.
One of the guys on the forum said to me "Just get that drop checker Green". Great advice. There is so much science on here. People are on another level and don't even realise it and sometimes it can get too much!
A couple of days ago i changed my diffuser and now i am convinced things are different in my tank. Mind you i am always worried about something!
With CO2 in 3 weeks my plants are much taller and pert although i'm not sure some are happy due to my newbie changing around of the flow and pressure and all that.
Sorry I'm not answering your question am i.
Possibly just by asking the question you are already intrigued and should go for it, but it may not always go to plan, which is also part of the fun. Get your clean up crew into action just incase! SO.... get your DChecker Green and make sure the creatures are happy.
Bet you wished you never asked!

Thats a great question.
I have just got into CO2 after purchasing plants from one of the guys on the forum. When i opened that packet it was like another level of something i was already passionate about, I had never seen plants so strong and healthy. So within a week i have gone for it.
My tank was already really packed and lush, pretty much what you have been experiencing as well.
I have met lots of little challenges along the way over the last few weeks. For one space is tight for me so i get really annoyed sorting out cables and pipes and all that.
One of the guys on the forum said to me "Just get that drop checker Green". Great advice. There is so much science on here. People are on another level and don't even realise it and sometimes it can get too much!
A couple of days ago i changed my diffuser and now i am convinced things are different in my tank. Mind you i am always worried about something!
With CO2 in 3 weeks my plants are much taller and pert although i'm not sure some are happy due to my newbie changing around of the flow and pressure and all that.
Sorry I'm not answering your question am i.
Possibly just by asking the question you are already intrigued and should go for it, but it may not always go to plan, which is also part of the fun. Get your clean up crew into action just incase! SO.... get your DChecker Green and make sure the creatures are happy.
Bet you wished you never asked!
Brilliant response that's just what I was after, someone that's pretty much in the same boat as myself. I have also bought plants from members here and was amazed at how lush they looked but then just didn't stay that way in my tank.
Have you had many algae issues since adding the co2?
What light are you using? I was unsure if I would need to go with a top end light to be able to run co2 or just my low tech lights will do??

In a word. Yes.

Is it essential for a nice home aquarium? No.

It doesn’t have to be expensive, tank size dependant, a decent regulator and solenoid you can pick up fairly cheap.
Strideways do a really good regulator that’s inexpensive.
The rest i.e. co2 bottles and diffusers are relatively cheap too.
So are there any parts that you would say you must but new or is a used set up an option??

Personally, I'm a dedicated low-tech hobbyist. Yet I can tell you what some of the most experienced CO2 injectors in my country say: The best of both worlds is possible. Inject just some 10 mg/L CO2. Plants will get much stronger and more healthy, and adopt brighter colours if lighting is adequate. But your tank will not look like a Soda-Stream and you won't have to trim tons of the green every weekend. And your fish will appreciate your measured approach.
Naturally, all other things have to be kept in balance as well. CO2 is not a silver bullet.

Well when your new to it, i think you become a bit of a headless chicken and think you need everything. Put it this way i have a skoda yeti which i love, but im sure i would really enjoy the comfort of that land rover defender i see which does exactly the same thing on the M3! So as usual i didn't spend too much and didn't spend too little if thats what you mean. My issue is the fire extinguishers. I can be arsed to go and top one up and i cant have one in my living room. I don't have a cabinet etc etc.... So i am using Soda Stream Argos Robert Dyas exchange for £12, 7 days a week. I only have a 35 ltr tank so hopefully it will last a while.
Some of this equipment is really great quality and I hope it will last for years and years. Its probably worth the investment.
Just need to sort out what you need for your size tank i guess and count up the numbers!
What i have noticed over the last few years is that the people we follow on youtube and all of our sponsors on here just backed CO2 Art and now I see people using other companies products which i personally think is really good!

If youre really into plants and the practice itself of actually growing the plants out then I would say yes to CO2, as long as you can keep up with the greatly increased demand on you.
But if you value relaxation and stability almost as much as the plants, then honestly not bothering with the CO2 is the better choice 😊

Last edited:
Personally, I'm a dedicated low-tech hobbyist. Yet I can tell you what some of the most experienced CO2 injectors in my country say: The best of both worlds is possible. Inject just some 10 mg/L CO2. Plants will get much stronger and more healthy, and adopt brighter colours if lighting is adequate. But your tank will not look like a Soda-Stream and you won't have to trim tons of the green every weekend. And your fish will appreciate your measured approach.
Naturally, all other things have to be kept in balance as well. CO2 is not a silver bullet.
I have to say that the whole bubble this is one of the reasons that puts me off, I love having crystal clear water and you comment about just adding a smaller amount to be beneficial would definitely suit me.
I think I might look more into that route to be honest

Well when your new to it, i think you become a bit of a headless chicken and think you need everything. Put it this way i have a skoda yeti which i love, but im sure i would really enjoy the comfort of that land rover defender i see which does exactly the same thing on the M3! So as usual i didn't spend too much and didn't spend too little if thats what you mean. My issue is the fire extinguishers. I can be arsed to go and top one up and i cant have one in my living room. I don't have a cabinet etc etc.... So i am using Soda Stream Argos Robert Dyas exchange for £12, 7 days a week. I only have a 35 ltr tank so hopefully it will last a while.
Some of this equipment is really great quality and I hope it will last for years and years. Its probably worth the investment.
Just need to sort out what you need for your size tank i guess and count up the numbers!
What i have noticed over the last few years is that the people we follow on youtube and all of our sponsors on here just backed CO2 Art and now I see people using other companies products which i personally think is really good!
Makes total sense mate, never heard of the sodastream exchange so might be worth a look. My tank is about 120 litres so would ideally want something that lasts a while.
Do you find the bubbles from the co2 annoying??

If youre really into plants and the pratice itself of actually growing the plants out then I would say yes to CO2, as long as you can keep up with the greatly increased demand on you.
But if you value relaxation and stability almost as much as the plants, then honestly not bothering with the CO2 is the better choice 😊
Thanks @Hufsa to be honest the whole plant thing is getting more and more interesting for me and the whole planted look of the tank is definitely more important now. I think co2 would suit me but as mentioned above maybe dosing a slightly lower amount say 10-15 mg/l would be better

Check out Adams Gas website for your local co2 stockist. There are 3 within 15 miles of you.

A 3kg food grade co2 bottle will set you back C.£50 deposit and C.£30 for the gas. That’ll last you about 4 months, then just £30 for each bottle swap. Far cheaper than soda stream.

Get a decent regulator, Strideways and Life Aqua are both very solid pieces of kit.
Think about the diffuser in tank or in-line. Defo go inline if using a spray bar, assuming normal sized tubing of course.

👍

Check out Adams Gas website for your local co2 stockist. There are 3 within 15 miles of you.

A 3kg food grade co2 bottle will set you back C.£50 deposit and C.£30 for the gas. That’ll last you about 4 months, then just £30 for each bottle swap. Far cheaper than soda stream.

Get a decent regulator, Strideways and Life Aqua are both very solid pieces of kit.
Think about the diffuser in tank or in-line. Defo go inline if using a spray bar, assuming normal sized tubing of course.

👍
Never heard of that but thanks for the tip I will take a look, I'm thinking I could probably get away with a 2kg bottle in my cabenit

Inject just some 10 mg/L CO2. Plants will get much stronger and more healthy,
This is it. CO2 has been used in aquaria for at least 30 years, except back then it was used to supplement natural CO2 by injecting what was depleted by the plants., rather than going for for 30ppm. Even 5ppm will result in faster, more lush growth. the important thing is to keep the CO2 levels very even, no matter what ppm you aim for.

This is it. CO2 has been used in aquaria for at least 30 years, except back then it was used to supplement natural CO2 by injecting what was depleted by the plants., rather than going for for 30ppm. Even 5ppm will result in faster, more lush growth. the important thing is to keep the CO2 levels very even, no matter what ppm you aim for.
I think adding co2 at a lower level sounds like something I'd like to try and it makes more sense to me to start off low

There’s a regulator currently for sale in the classifieds at a good price if you wanted to check that out.
As already mentioned, strideways and life aqua make some very good regulators.

I have the strideways, but wish I’d of gone for the life aqua.

Have to say yes it is worth it, but then so is low-energy, no CO2. And so equally is some CO2, not necessarily 30mg. I guess it all depends on your own personal goal. And also the plants you want to grow.

Back