• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is Diana Walstad's book still relevant?

Zante

I have a copy of Diana Walstad's book "the ecology of the planted aquarium", and I have set up a couple of tanks extrapolating from that book, they are doing more than fine.
I have suggested it as reading material for a person who was asking in an aquarium-related facebook group for information about setting up a dirt shrimp tank, but one person answered that the book is now outdated and research has now moved forward.

This person is quite in the know about shrimps, shrimp breeding and all the various strains. He posts stock for sale on a regular basis and they all look amazing, so I'm not quite ready to dismiss his opinion.

So I thought I'd ask here, as this forum is more plant-oriented, and I might get a more relevant answer, so: is Diana Walstad's book still relevant and a good source of information, or we've moved past the information in there?

I think if it works then it cant be irrelevant, Just because something is new or modern doesn't mean its better, so I think its still relevant. I also have a copy and find it an excellent read

Yes it's still highly relevant. However, there are a few things I do differently, as I believe Diana probably does too these days.
Frequent water changes to remove solid and dissolved organic matter to help prevent algae etc.
Good surface agitation to increase gas exchange to keep CO2 levels stable throughout the photoperiod and ensure good O2 levels.
O2 not only helps to keep critters healthy, it's the primary metric in biological filtration, and the break down of organic matter, which in turn will release more CO2.

I am curious what is the connection/distinction he's making between Diana Walstad's book and shrimp?

As Tim says above Diana's book is highly relevant and the one thing she has somewhat wrong is about the flow, which she also later admitted on forums. If you keep that in mind while reading the book and apply the rest of the theory, then it doesn't matter. In terms of shrimp, they do better in highly oxygenated environment as opposed to stagnant tanks type "Diana Walstad" so that's maybe what he means. But if the tank has filtration and flow and is otherwise set up as per the book...then the method is rather successful and very much relevant.....

I am curious what is the connection/distinction he's making between Diana Walstad's book and shrimp?

Not sure to be honest. He simply said that her book is now surpassed and there is new understanding about the matter.
It kinda startled me a bit, and had to give it some thought before I'd question him about it.

As Tim says above Diana's book is highly relevant and the one thing she has somewhat wrong is about the flow, which she also later admitted on forums.

I missed that, what was wrong about the flow and how did she correct herself?

If you keep that in mind while reading the book and apply the rest of the theory, then it doesn't matter. In terms of shrimp, they do better in highly oxygenated environment as opposed to stagnant tanks type "Diana Walstad" so that's maybe what he means. But if the tank has filtration and flow and is otherwise set up as per the book...then the method is rather successful and very much relevant.....

Maybe that's what he meant. I'll ask him when he shows up.

Why not ask him?
;)

I think I will when I catch him online again. He's been AWOL for a while, I wanted to get some CRS from him.

Hi all,
is Diana Walstad's book still relevant and a good source of information, or we've moved past the information in there?
It is still relevant.
Yes it's still highly relevant. However, there are a few things I do differently, as I believe Diana probably does too these days.
Frequent water changes to remove solid and dissolved organic matter to help prevent algae etc. Good surface agitation to increase gas exchange to keep CO2 levels stable throughout the photoperiod and ensure good O2 levels. O2 not only helps to keep critters healthy, it's the primary metric in biological filtration, and the break down of organic matter, which in turn will release more CO2.
I'd agree wholeheartedly with <"@Tim Harrison">. There is content in it that could probably do with revision in light of further research (and particularly the <"water changes, flow and filtration issues">), but that is true of any science book that was written in the past.
I missed that, what was wrong about the flow and how did she correct herself?
Yes, linked in the <"Walstad revises"> thread.

The shrimp link is now at: <"Small Planted Tanks for Pet Shrimp">.

cheers Darrel

Back