• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Is it safe to start planting with 0.25 Ammonia reading …

Ossie

Hello,
I have been cycling my tank blindly for four weeks and my ammonia reading is 0.25 I am keen to start planting.
May I ask is it safe to do so …

Welcome to UKAPS The best way to cycle the tank is to get it planted . Fast growers will really be benefical

Because you have listed Tropica Soil and Tropica root tabs in your equipment list - just a gentle warning that the stuff releases ammonia - getting to 0ppm Ammonia may take a longer time. You'll need patience and maybe some hardy plants like Paraguay suggested (not magic water that promises to cycle your tank faster 😎 ) Since you have a HOB filter, you could even dump a garden plant or two in it. My HOB filter is used as a planter.

From your other thread. I've highlighted the words in red in Paraguay's post just in case you missed them...

Unfortunately, nobody has asked you about your pH.🙁
pH is decisive in that it determines how much of your 0.25 ppm is harmless ammonium (NH4+) and toxic ammonia (NH3).
Folks, any reading of ammonium/ammonia is worthless unless accompanied by pH value.

1659948314908.png

Last edited:
pH is decisive in that it determines how much of your 0.25 ppm is harmless ammonium (NH4+) and toxic ammonia (NH3).
Folks, any reading of ammonium/ammonia is worthless unless accompanied by pH value.

Ossie is asking whether he can add plants to his aquarium when ammonia is not zero. The answer given by Paraguay, which I agree with and so does plantnoobdude, is that you can add fast-growing and hardy plants immediately.

Hi all,
That is why I prefer to use <"Total Ammoniacal Nitrogen (TAN)">, it takes pH out of the equation.

In planted tanks pH is very much a <"movable feast"> as the <"oxygen and CO2 ratio change">.

I think of TAN like <"potential energy">. As an analogy I'm not too bothered if a grain of sand falls on me, but if that sand grain becomes a huge rock ("the NH4+ converts to NH3 as the pH rises") it has the potential to do a lot of damage.

cheers Darrel

Back