• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is silver birch aquarium safe?

castle

Asking because…

IMG_3828.jpeg

I dug this out a couple of years ago; so it’s been sitting in my bracken for all that time. The bark is starting to break away and the roots are dry.

Planning to put in the pond now until next year … if it’s safe

Interesting; if it lasts 5 years I’d say that’s “good enough”

This raises an interesting point for us planted tank enthusiasts and aquascpers. I came to the conclusion a good while ago that not all wood sold by venders as hardscape is suitable.

Much of it has been the source of all sorts of scaping woes, mostly BBA and the like. As it rots and breaks down it floods systems with high levels of organics that not even regular and substantial water changes and excellent husbandry can deal with.

In future I’m seriously leaning to only using real bog wood, manzi, and eucalyptus root. I know azalea root or spider wood is popular, for instance, but I’ve had nothing but problems with it, and likewise oak, although I haven’t completely ruled that out yet.

Be interesting to learn how long dead birch does. Although at the very least the bark should be stripped. If only to remove the risk of dead and decaying wood boring saproxylic organisms polluting the water.

As it rots and breaks down it floods systems with high levels of organics that not even regular and substantial water changes and excellent husbandry can deal with.

That would be my concern with @castle birch suggestion.

I came to the conclusion a good while ago that not all wood sold by venders as hardscape is suitable. . . . In future I’m seriously leaning to only using real bog wood, manzi, and eucalyptus root

Me too; I have some nice pieces of Talawa Wood I hopep to try at some point inverted to look like mangrove roots, but given @Ady34's experience with it in his previous 1200 scape, I'm not so sure:

1cc67483-3ff4-4253-bb0b-c352bc437f80-jpeg.jpg

Agree with the Spiderwood etc too, I think often the issue is using them new - soaking outside in a tub for 6 months is always a good idea if you can plan ahead.

Corbo root is another nice option too, comes in some really great and interesting and natural shapes, and has given me no issues.

Hmm, I don’t know. I have experienced the high organics many times over; but it’s really varied how bad it can be. I dunno, cool bit of wood but probably more work than I can reasonably manage.

Yet, I find wood in shops to be really limiting. I was a little put off corbo root as I had some nice bits but the smell off then was really strong; but this was 6+ year ago.

Planning on visiting Riverwood and horizon in a couple of weeks so I’ll see what I can get together 😅👍

As for the stump in the first image… there’s a few blocks of firewood in there.

Back