• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is that a Damselfly nymph in my tank? HELP!!! :-0

Zak Rafik

Hi everyone,

OK, a few days back, while I was appreciating my Red Cherry Shrimps, I noticed a small strange “insect” like creature swimming at the lower bottom of the tank. I was too shocked by the sight of it to act quickly and catch it. Within a matter of seconds, it “swam” or “slithered” away deep into the dense plantation. I did not get a chance to see it again until 2 days back.

By chance I came upon the identification of this “insect” through a YouTube channel by a German guy who keeps shrimps and from there, I learnt that I had actually seen a Damselfly nymph in my tank!:banghead:

It seems that not only can one introduce snail eggs but also Damselfly or Dragonfly eggs via aquatic plants. Go figure!:arghh:
My plants were planted about 50 odd days ago so I don’t know how long it took for the nymphs to hatch from the eggs.

This morning I found a leaf from my Lobelia cardinalis floating and noticed some kind of “egg” like stuff attached to the underside of it. I have taken a close up of the “egg” like stuff. I don’t know if this is unhatched Damselfly eggs. It could be Damselfly eggs or something else.

Can any member identify this “egg” like stuff? Are these really eggs or some sort of fungus or something else?

Do Damselfly nymph pose a danger to my planted tank? I know the nymphs are carnivorous but can’t harm the Otos or the SAEs in the tank due to their size factor. But I’m very concerned for my Amano/Yamato shrimps and Red Cherry shrimps.:( What do you think?

How can I catch this nymphs?

Thank you in advance.

Warm Regards

Raffik

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b631/Zak_Rafik/eggs-on-leaf-what-is-it_zpsa980e1cf.jpg

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b631/Zak_Rafik/damselfly_2_zps7b9fb5b4.jpg

Unfortunately it's quite likely that they will predate on the shrimp,particularly the Cherry shrimp :( they are devils to catch and if your tank is well planted it's going to be nigh on impossible.
I don't think there's anything that you can add to the tank to kill them due to the livestock you already have.
I'm not sure about the "eggs" on the leaves,Damselfly eggs are usually laid in clusters similar to caterpillar eggs.

Even adult Cherry Shrimps?

OK worst case scenario, how long do these nymphs live given that fact that I have only algae eaters and shrimps in the tank? The only food I feed the algae eaters are parboiled zucchinis or lettuce leaves.
Can they attack the adult Cherry Shrimps or Amano shrimps?

I have read that one should quarantine plants or do a potassium permanganate / bleach bath on plants to get rid of snail eggs before planting but nothing on Damselfly or Dragonfly eggs.o_O

Regards
Raffik

The complete life cycle for a damselfly is I believe about 12 months but most of this is spent as a nymph.
I don't know whether turning up the temperature,dependant on your livestock of course,would speed up the cycle....I'm thinking in your average tropical tank it would speed up anyway.
They may not attack adult Cherry shrimp but I can't be certain of this although I would think adult Amano's would be safe.
You could always chuck a few daphnia or midge larvae in every so often in the hopes that any nymphs would take those first.
I've never quarantined my plants but then I am careful where I source them from,usually from reputable suppliers such as Aquaessentials etc.
The bleach solution dip is often used by people to solve the snail problem and would work for the Damsel/dragonfly eggs too :)

The complete life cycle for a damselfly is I believe about 12 months but most of this is spent as a nymph.
Not exactly good need news to hear, is it?:arghh:

I've never quarantined my plants but then I am careful where I source them from,usually from reputable suppliers
I never quarantined my plants either as there was nothing in the tank to start off with at the time of planting. And as for the "reputable", the source where I bought from, it is the biggest in my country with branches in Malaysia and China!! There was an interesting article about this "reputable" company in Practical Fishkeeping magazine. It seemed that they used pesticide chemicals which are no longer allowed in EU.:dead:

Now I think about it, I think this is KARMA.
When I was little, I would catch these Damselflies and tie strings onto their tail as fly them as "kites"
And NOW it's PAY BACK TIME, I guess.:lol:

What goes around, comes around.:wideyed:

Cheers
Raffik

:lol: I know I shouldn't laugh but yes it's looks like payback time!!!! :hilarious: have to say it looks like their pesticides don't work very well!
The nymphs aren't strong swimmers so if you have good flow it's likely that they will spend a lot of time lurking in the plants or tucked under hardscape so they'd be the places to look for them ;)

The nymphs aren't strong swimmers so if you have good flow it's likely that they will spend a lot of time lurking in the plants or tucked under hardscape so they'd be the places to look for them
True. I spotted it twice. Once at the very end of the tank, where there is a gentle flow and once under the rock cave. Today henceforth, I keep a small net handy nearby just in case it is spotted.

Oh BTW, I just read in a forum that one seldom finds more than one or two in a typical tank.Is this true? PLEASE say this is true!:wideyed:

Regards
Raffik

Thought you might appreciate a little pic I took a couple of months ago :p
15232240231_3a78214444_c.jpg

Hi MirandaB
Cute guy:) and fantastic shot.:thumbup:
Why can't he be cute also when he is inside my tank.:arghh:

How did you get it to stay still?:snaphappy:

Hi "Mr.Teapot"
Wow! Good shot.If you have more, I would luv to see them too.
Glad to hear some glad tidings about my situation. :clap:
So there is hope?:joyful:
Cheers
Raffik

Last edited:
I'm lucky enough to have a river at the bottom of the garden, I spend a lot of time in there when the weather's hot enough so I think the Damselflies are probably used to me :D this is my favourite shot I've ever taken of them,wish I was more of a photographer but I'm a snapper :)

9320499281_5a6386c7bf_c.jpg

,wish I was more of a photographer but I'm a snapper
Oh my word! You're being too humble. I bought a Canon 600D 2 years back and till today, I'm struggling to get decent shots.:grumpy:

I think this photo may just change my impression of Damselflies.;)
BTW fantabulous photo.:thumbup:

Still, I wonder if any members here can tell me what those "egg" like stuff found under my leaves are?
1.Eggs.:sick:
2.Fungus.:grumpy:
3.Some form of sloooow moving parasite .:arghh:
4.Totally nothing to be concerned about and stop being so paranoid and just get on with life.:cool:

Cheers
Raffik

Cut the top off a small plastic bottle and reverse it into the body creating a small trap. Pop the half eaten shrimp in there and leave it in the tank. And cross your fingers.

Back