• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

is this common ?

alan_uk

since stripping down my set-up i have now re-scaped using sand substrate with osmocote under the sand as i had success with it previously,

its now been 3 days since re-fill and my

crypt "wendtii" green
vallis
amazon sword's
red-tiger lotus
and some old anubias leaves have suffered melting

i have used sand as its going to be a discus set-up and wanted a sand substrate im no longer using co2 or any type of ferts as i wanted to keep everything pretty low maintenance so have chosen plants which were reccomended by tropica site im using the 2 48" t5ho 6500k daylight tubes for 5 hours daily,

all i wanted really is reasuring that this is normal behaviour and the plants will re-establish themselves in new enviroment and re-grow in the next couple of weeks ?

hi yea i totally removed all of them had them in trays for around 4 hours while i cleaned and re-set the tank back up and filled

Hi alan
As i said it could be temperature shock....I have found if you keep your plants in a bucket/tray at a similar temperature as your tank water you get very little Crypt melt.
Lilly's have very delicate leaves and are prone to melt after being damaged.
Valli's are very unpredictable for me...I'm not sure about them.
Anubis have never melted on me.
Cheers
hoggie

alan_uk said:
all i wanted really is reasuring that this is normal behaviour and the plants will re-establish themselves in new enviroment and re-grow in the next couple of weeks ?

They should bounce back eventually but it may take longer if you don't dose Co2.
Keep them well fertilized and they should recover.
hoggie

that might explain it then lol as i filled the tank back up with cold water :O

i also realised the tiger lotus had broken from its bulb lol

only thing is im not using ferts or co2 and dont really want to tbh as its an expense i could do without i have osmocote under the sand though which is a plant fert im sure so will this be ok ?

also would i be better only using 1 bulb in the tank rather than the 2 ? it works out just over 1watt per gallon

Hi alan
If your not using ferts..... try and do small regular water changes 20% each week at least.
This will nourish your plants and should keep them ticking over.Remember keep the the temp similar.
I know this is low tech...but it doesn't have to be low maintenance.
Invest in some Ferts/Trace you wont regret it.... your plants will be much healthier even when not dosing Co2/Liquid Carb.
Regards
hoggie

cheers buddy

i did just strip the tank i had aqua soil and ferts co2 but was too time consuming so decided low tech i would like to go dry ferts but dont know the first thing or were to get them

Back