• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this Ich on my Kerri Tetra?

mikewxyz

Hi UKAPS: I'm seeking your input what to do about this white cyst/ bump on one of my Kerri tetras.

My 68 gallon tank is 4 3/4 months old. I've added added 18 Kerri tetras and 12 Lemon tetras in the last three weeks. (They are the only livestock.) Two weeks ago, I noticed these white spots on several of the Kerri tetras. Thinking it was Ich I went through a five day treatment. The tank has had one 50% water change since the Ich-X treatment but medication still remains in the tank. I've turned on a UV light to help disinfect. Several days ago I noticed one spot on a single fish. See (poor) photos. The spot located in front of the dorsal fin has not increased in number nor has it gone away.

1) Could it be Ich that was not successfully treated?
2) Could this white spot be something besides Ich in which case the Ich treatment was irrelevant?
3) Should I take a wait and see attitude or do something? What would that something be?

regards,

Mike
IMG_0725.jpg
IMG_0729.jpg

In my experience, ich can sometimes create large cysts, but they're usually small and speckled. I absolutely would not treat for a single spec though, it's not enough information to go on. Ich is very prolific, so if it is actually ich, you'll know soon enough. The treatments for ich aren't very nice for fish, so IMO it's best to not 'jump the gun' on treating unless 100% sure. Pay special attention to the fins of fish - ich is very likely to show up here.

Back