• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is your In-line diffuser doing its job?

Carbondioxide

Sponsor
UKAPS Team
tempimagewkfpyx-jpg.1046437.jpeg

When your In-line diffuser performance slows, bubbles become more prominent, and your dissolved co2 rate will drop. Of course, you can replace the full diffuser, but did you know you can replace the rubber washers and ceramic elements too?

With the In-line diffuser ceramic membrane replacement kit, your diffuser can continue to provide your aquatic plants with nano-mist diffusion for as long as you need it.

Each kit includes a ceramic element and rubber washers. Give your In-line diffuser a quick service; order now

👉🏻To prolong the lifetime of our in-line diffusers, we always recommend cleaning the ceramic element from time to time. View here for a quick tutorial.

I am new here and I found this post about in-line diffuser and it looks like similar to mine. Before I used it I tested the connection for leaks and when I dipped it in the water I noticed that the bubbles are big, look similar to an aerator bubbles. This new I bought it online. Is this normal? I thought diffusers are supposed to produce mists. See photo I attached.

Bubbles are seen coming out of my lily pipe and I don’t get a drop of pH so my co2 injection is not efficient and optimized with this diffuser, I supposed? Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpeg
    IMG_0969.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 109
Hi Miko, In the image there doesn't appear to be a filter outlet connected to the diffuser. What filter are you using (flow rate can play a part in how large the bubbles are).

What pressure CO2 are you using? Higher pressure can sometimes produce finer bubbles.

If you disassemble the diffuser (or look through the middle with a torch) is the inside of the ceramic white or does it have green/brown algae on it?

Hi Miko, In the image there doesn't appear to be a filter outlet connected to the diffuser. What filter are you using (flow rate can play a part in how large the bubbles are).

What pressure CO2 are you using? Higher pressure can sometimes produce finer bubbles.

If you disassemble the diffuser (or look through the middle with a torch) is the inside of the ceramic white or does it have green/brown algae on it?
Hi, the photo was taken when I was testing for leakage. That’s when I saw the big bubbles coming out from the diffuser. I am using Oase Filtosmart Thermo 100 (flow rate 600 liter per hour. I have attached it to the outflow and I am seeing lots of bubbles coming out from my lily pipe. It seems like my CO2 when straight right out of the water.

My CO2 pressures read 5 bar (70psi) and 60 bar (900 psi). I am using a regular with two pressure counter and a solenoid valve. I think my pressure is high enough.

I disassembled it actually. The ceramic looks clean (inner part). Didn’t touched it as advised. I used plastic hand gloves with no chemical residues. Took great care not to contaminate the ceramic.it looks okay. It is new.

I can see big bubbles passing through the transparent hose. It really looks like an aerator bubbles. How I wish I can upload a video.

Hi
Sometimes these ceramic diffusers need a breaking-in period....try running it low bubble rate for a day, or remove it and clean it with diluted bleach!

Hi Miko, the CO2 art diffuser recommends running at 30-40psi. I would turn the pressure down to eliminate that as a variable. I would also recommend, as GH Nelson said, running it at low to no bubble rate for 24 hours to soak the ceramic.

If that doesn't solve the issue, the next thing I would do is check that all the O-rings are seated correctly, if the CO2 is bypassing the ceramic that will cause big bubbles.

If that doesn't work I'd contact CO2 art, it may turn out that your ceramic has a flaw in it. They sell replacement ceramics for a reasonable price and as stated in the OP they come with a full spare set of O-rings.

I clean mine, every so often in 1:1 bleach and water, or even neat limescape bleach, or Steradent.
But they can be temperamental. I've had a few that just won't work no matter what.

Awesome. Will follow your advice. 24 hours now running, I think the bubbles are getting smaller and I will reduce the pressure as recommended by CO2Art. Thanks! Very helpful.

Hello Miko,

Firstly thank you all of you for such a great advice to Miko while I was on annual leave.

Regarding to your issue:
  • please do not take the big bubbles in account if you test the diffuser in bucket as there is no water flow and therefore the bubbles will join one other
  • as mentioned before I will set the working pressure between 30-40 Psi
  • make sure that your external filter has at least 1.5 / 2 times the turn over of the volume of your aquarium
  • your dropchecker can just sit on death spot and this is why it showing wrong values
  • Check the flow of water around your aquarium
  • ALWAYS prioritize your livestock against anything else
Long story short. Aquascaping is beautiful hobby but sometimes it can get very frustrating....

Video of your setup will be great for us to help you find the core of the issue tbh. If you cannot upload it here you can always contact me directly on: miroslav@co2art.eu

Alternatively you can always send us an email to support@co2art.eu. Just please #Miroslav that my colleagues will past the ticket to me.

Kind regards
Miroslav@CO2Art

Back