• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java fern 'Narrow', P. helferi and R. 'Nanjensen' experience

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Anyone any experiences of these plants - Microsorium pteropus 'Narrow', Pogostemon helferi and Rotala sp. 'Nanjensen'?

I'm getting 3 Tropica pots of each species for my Juwel Rio 125 to do a minor re-scape. Look out for an updated blog on the PFK site today...

For some reason I've had difficulty growing narrow fern already. Ironic as I can grow 'demanding' plants such as glosso, B. japonica and E. stellata with ease.

Light is 4 x 18w T8, CO2 around 25ppm, ferts TPN+ 5ml per day. 1/2 WC weekly. Everything in the tank thrives except narrow fern. Maybe it was just a dodgy batch?

I'm interested in experiences with Pogostemon helferi. Does it stay more compact in higher lighting? Does is send out runners?

And Rotala sp. 'Nanjensen'. Fast, easy grower, like Rotala sp.'Green'?

TIA.

I have grown all of them with no problems, I don't know why you are experiencing difficulty with the narrow leaf fern George, it does well in my tanks but a slow grower. It usually does better with more light in my tanks than a low light situation. I think someone else posted on this before about difficulties with this plant

The downai needs a lot of light to stay compact IME, I usually struggle to keep it really compact in my 40 gallon even with 3WPG of T5 lighting. An easy plant IME, once it gets established it grows and spreads easily.

The nanjensen is a nice plant as well IMO, a little bit delicate , it grows fast, it needs a fair bit of light or it just turns to mush pretty quickly, I'd say anything over 2WPG and it will do fine.

johnny70 said:
Where do you buy Tropica plants from??

Jonny check this place out: http://www.birstall.co.uk/ranges/99984-1.html
The Troipica website also give a list of distributors.

George, In my experience Tropica's P. helferi is very easy. I've had specimens from other sources which have struggled. In my deep tank they tend to grow vertically which is no problem as I just snip off the high parts and replant.

Cheers,

Tropica`s Rotala sp `nanjenshan` is a great looking stem plant, fast growing and dead easy. I was really disappointed with the emersed plants they sent me, but they soon bucked up and began reaching for the surface.

Empty014pb.jpg

Cropped018pb.jpg

Dave.

No, it stays green, Sam. If I recall correctly, I think it did `blush` very slightly at its uppermost reaches from time to time, but it is pretty much 100% green. I wish I still had some.

Dave.

Peter - Thanks. The new narrow fern seem to be doing better. Pearling more than the old stuff already.

Johnny - I don't buy Tropica plants. I have an excellent working relationship with them that includes testing out new plant species. I am very lucky!

Clive - Thanks.

Dave - Thanks. Super photos!

Sam - The ADA 2006 winner had some nice red R. nanjensen. Intense light and limited NO3...

Back