• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Java fern

robert2191

Hi all
I have java fern in my tank but not sure if it should be that big or if i have just let it grow to big and should trim it , i have seen pictures and videos and they all seem smaller
bc52670661dd87197a22a8feeb22e2f4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a very nice Java-fern, Robert.
There are encredible many variations of Java-fern (Microsorum pteropus).....yours is of the socalled "broadleaf" type, by the look. This variety tends to grow quite big - as do several other varieties - when they thrive in your tank.
Personally I would leave it alone (=not trim it), since it doesn't seem to disturb other plants and look fabulous as it is.
Should you want to, or in time need to, trim .......you can just carefully cut single leaves (probably biggest ones) at their base by the rhizom (=creeping stem) to make the whole plant a bit smaller.
Another possibility, though a bit more difficult, is to carefully cut some pieces of the rhizome off with leaves on it. This will be an instant new plant.

That's a very nice Java-fern, Robert.
There are encredible many variations of Java-fern (Microsorum pteropus).....yours is of the socalled "broadleaf" type, by the look. This variety tends to grow quite big - as do several other varieties - when they thrive in your tank.
Personally I would leave it alone (=not trim it), since it doesn't seem to disturb other plants and look fabulous as it is.
Should you want to, or in time need to, trim .......you can just carefully cut single leaves (probably biggest ones) at their base by the rhizom (=creeping stem) to make the whole plant a bit smaller.
Another possibility, though a bit more difficult, is to carefully cut some pieces of the rhizome off with leaves on it. This will be an instant new plant.

Thank you for your help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back