• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Jay's new 'scape 120cm

• Thread starter Thread starter jay
  • Start date Start date

jay

Well my last scape went a bit pear shaped so I rooted out the stems, got more moss and anubias and went mad with the re-scape.
I've got a ton of stag horn algae because of FE ran out and i've been too busy to get a new one.
Its still in its initial stages... need more plants, tweaking of the hardscape and a good constant regime.
Also a higher turnover is needed I think. Probably go for a Superfish pro 4 external and maybe an extra power head.
I'm not going to give a full tank shot as I'm planning for this to go into the IAPLC Contest this year.
(YES, I'm a confident boy 😛 )
embers3.jpg

More obscure, close up shots to come.

Cheers.

Re: Jay's "The Fobidden Land" ADA entry teaser.

That will look really nice once you've got rid of the algae. I love the scape!

The only thing that strikes me, is that you have two species of shoaling fish - I think it would look better with just the one species. Either the black neons or the red ones (are they ember tetras?). I think both fish go well with it. If it were me, I'd choose the red ones, but the black neons would still look great.

hellohefalump said:
The only thing that strikes me, is that you have two species of shoaling fish - I think it would look better with just the one species. Either the black neons or the red ones (are they ember tetras?). I think both fish go well with it. If it were me, I'd choose the red ones, but the black neons would still look great.

I think there's actually 3 species isn't there? I can see some rummynose's near the bottom too. I agree it would look better with a single species however 🙂

erm, 4 species? lemon tetras bottom left 😛
although it does look nice 🙂

Looks great m8, apart from the small amount of algae, but i'm sure you'll get on top of that. 😉

And hold on.......no, 4 species it is. :lol:

:lol: 4 species of tetra lads. rummynose, black neons, diamond and embers.
For any "special" shots, I'll use just one species. But I'm a fish keeper at heart and love a collection of my fave fish.

Before I got the embers, I had just diamond and black neons, they looked brilliant together.
Then the rummynose put things put of whack but they had to go in from another tank for a bit.

I love the new embers but they just don't look right with the other fish.

LondonDragon said:
Looking good so far 😉 looks like there is some algae there too 😉 you will need to kill it.
Keep us posted

I know 😳 Just from neglect really. I'm getting on top of it now.
Thinking of losing the microsorum too. Just more bolbitis and anubias..... choices choices.

I wouldn't loose the Ferns. Anubias tends to be very dominating.

As oppose to big green spears of microsorum sticking out? :? :lol:
I'm going to be using anubias petite and mostly bolbitis.... my favourite of all plants.

Me too!!! Lovely plant, in the right setting. Just look at saintly's tank, a real showcase for microsorum, I just don't think it helps the scale in my tank. I'm looking to use smaller leaved plants to make it seem larger than it is.

I would say Microsorum leaves are smaller than Anubias leaves but that's just me 😉 I'm sure it'll work out just fine

Hope so.... Or i'll be up a certain creek without a paddle 🙂

Just got a new FE so bye bye staghorn!!
Nice and slow injection overnight, then I'll crank it right up .

Can you spot the new rock?
(Hint: Its the massive clean one at the front)
curves.jpg

I love the rummynose tetras, but they need to go. they don't like the brightness of the sand anyway.
They're faces look all washed out.
path.jpg

Not sure I actually like the HC dotted about, I may change it up all for moss balls.

Cheers guys.

Staghorn has all bt gone. A couple of tiny little stragglers left on a couple of leaves. But that's what scissors are for.

I need to add some height to the back of the scape, but then that probably means I'll have to use stems, which I didn't really want to do.
No valis either, too fast.

Back