• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Jbl crystal 700 external

Barryg

I've put one if these on my 600 x450x300 tmc sig. By the size of the actual footprint if the filter I was expecting to have to turn the unit s flow down but tbo it's so weak and just hasn't the power I would expect in comparisn to eheim if similar size.
Maybe it's me but does anyone else agree. ?
Cheers

What sort of media is in there? You might be able to increase the flow by changing some of it

Just using the media supplied mate.
No floss or like slowing it up. It's really quite and I really like it but just a bit disappointed
Cheers

Is that lots of foam? Try a load of pot scrubbers (aka ceg) loads of surface area and great for flow

Ok mate. Do they decay though ?
Do I mean the silver ones ?
Thanks

Just using the media supplied mate.
No floss or like slowing it up. It's really quite and I really like it but just a bit disappointed
Cheers
I run a couple of these, removed all the blue foam apart from the top tray, sintered glass media split between the other two trays, also found lily pipes choke the flow a little using a gush nano jet outflow on one at the moment and it's vastly improved flow.

Similar but made of nylon so last forever. Shove this into ebay :

9PC PLASTIC NYLON SCRUBBER DISH & POT SCRUBBER VARIOUS COLOURS BEST TO CLEANING

Cheap as chips too :greedy:

Similar but made of nylon so last forever. Shove this into ebay :

9PC PLASTIC NYLON SCRUBBER DISH & POT SCRUBBER VARIOUS COLOURS BEST TO CLEANING

Cheap as chips too :greedy:

Marvellous mate thanks.
Just placed an order for 2.
Cheers

I run a couple of these, removed all the blue foam apart from the top tray, sintered glass media split between the other two trays, also found lily pipes choke the flow a little using a gush nano jet outflow on one at the moment and it's vastly improved flow.

Thanks for the advice mate I will look into it tomorrow. I have got the tmc Lilly pipe and was suspecting this was starving it a bit. Tbo I am a little disappointed with them to.
;). Thanks. External filters are new to me as I am used to sumped marine systems with copious amounts of water movement
Thanks

If your fish load is light you don't even need a full filter btw

If your fish load is light you don't even need a full filter btw

Can u enlightened further ;) ?
I have 15 cardinals and shrimp , 2 otincolous
It's just the flow in the tank is very low and surface movement is non existent resulting in poor co2 circulation for one
Cheers

The bacteria will only grow as large as their food source will allow.

On the waste side you have:
15 fish that get to 35mm
2 oto's
shrimp
Some plant breakdown

On the filter side you have:
Filter media based bacteria
All plants

The plants take up good amounts of waste from the water and as you are feeding them CO2 they are eating more to grow more

In a tank that size (81l) and with a bio load that small (17 small/medium fish +shrimp) you are not going to need a huge filter culture. Therefore you might as well not ram it full of media and enjoy the extra flow

The bacteria will only grow as large as their food source will allow.

On the waste side you have:
15 fish that get to 35mm
2 oto's
shrimp
Some plant breakdown

On the filter side you have:
Filter media based bacteria
All plants

The plants take up good amounts of waste from the water and as you are feeding them CO2 they are eating more to grow more

In a tank that size (81l) and with a bio load that small (17 small/medium fish +shrimp) you are not going to need a huge filter culture. Therefore you might as well not ram it full of media and enjoy the extra flow
ok

Thanks mate that's brilliant I'll have a play with the filter. If u want a nose at a pic I have a journal started titled cardinal city.

Back