• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Julia's tank 40L - 3rd layout - Anubias Garden

Thanks, Roy. That's definitely great idea, I should arrange something like timelapse next time. I was very limited in time this week, so I scaped the tank after my main work, at night. Maybe I need to train some mignon to help me with photos ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Last edited:
root piece is absolutely brilliant.
Thanks Lauris.

Recently I realized I could have used some (manten-like) stones to make combination with these root branches a-la Angkor Vat jungles. Too bad I did not think about it earlier.

Very nice scape Julia :)

loving the tank, can you tell me what ferts you are using, how much light, CO2....etc....

loving the tank, can you tell me what ferts you are using, how much light, CO2....etc....

Sure. So technical side of this setup as of today:

tank is 47x30x40H cm custom made, float glass 6mm, transparent silicone;
light unit 1*36W Osram Dulux 865 in custom made cover lid; that's quite bright for such tank so CO2 is needed; also a lot of floating plants are used to reduce light (entire surface is covered by plants, I remove them when take photo);
photoperiod is about 8-10 hours/day (on work days about 6 hours at morning and 2 hours at evening, so family can enjoy the tank after work; on weekend usually from 10am to 20pm);
internal filter aquael fan mini 240l/h;
internal heater aquael 50W;
CO2 DIY yeast-based generator, 2 bottles 1.5l, refill each bottle on alternate weeks; CO2 reactor is JBL Taifun (I removed 2 of 5 sections now, it's quite effective IMO);
recently I've added air pump on timer, it works usually at evening to increase oxygen level before night;
fertilizers: micro, macro, potassium and iron from Aquayer (Ukranian small company, the products are available in Ukraine, Russia, and probably in some other neighbor countries); the amount of fertilizers - according to recommended dose on bottle, this layout is slow, so we don't need to overfeed plants atm;
also we're using some water additives to slightly lower kH and to add black-water extract (also from local small companies);
recently we started to add alder cones and oak leaves in small quantity. The water got a tint of tea color (yellowish), I think that's good for cardinal tetras and other fish. At least I can see their colors are brighter than in clean water.
Usually Julia should do 30% water change every weekend and clean the filter. Sometimes she is too busy for that. I'm asking her at least clean filter if not water change.

And water parameters: only tap water is used for water changes, last weekend pH was about 7 (8 in tap water), kH ~ 11 (strangely high, probably something raises it up, seaside gravel?), GH ~ 12 (ok for tap water), NO3 and PO4 both were about zero, so I've asked Julia to start dosing macro (NPK) now.

Last edited:
Are you going to attach any plants to the dw arch?
No! In previous layout the wood was hidden under plant mass, which grow very thick over time, and Julia has failed to trim it properly.
This time I want to keep this wood visible, so no plants allowed to hide all those tiny roots.

4 months

Everything is growing fine and steady. Only dhg is not very good: also there are many new shoots, but overall it's yellow. Maybe lack of fertilization.
I've installed more powerful internal filter by Aquael, with coarse foam. The previous model got dirty less than in a week and therefore the flow was always drastically reduced.
The wood started to rot and lost some of its beauty. In the end that's nice home tank. And not very demanding, that's great.

16460018709_f42a588d3b_c.jpg47x30x40 - 4 months by bialix1, on Flickr

16646184895_ee92999d6b_c.jpg47x30x40 - 4 months by bialix1, on Flickr

Not quite what I was after, but good enough. There is very hard time in my country there. The hobby is not the main priority atm.

Mid June 2015. 235 days since setup.
The tank is neglected due to real life and hard work of my cousin. I've cut plants here and there, but overall it needs more maintenance, unfortunately I can't see this tank often enough these months. Good side: it has mainly slow growing plants, so the tank don't look as awful mess despite the lack of care.

18683794203_2997ba9dd8_z.jpg47x30x40 - 235 days by Alexander, on Flickr

Back