Jungle tank

Discussion in 'Planted Tank Gallery' started by johnnypy, 18 Oct 2008.

1. johnnypy

johnnypy Member

I've been keeping and breeding fish for 35 years but have recently got very interested in planted tanks. I really like the jungle approach to aquascaping. This is my 75gal tank.

Comments very welcome

J

fishtank1008003wc1.jpg

fishtank1008006cc7.jpg

2. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

Nice tank, I'm a big fan of the jungle feel too. Any chance of stats? Lighting/substrte/flora/fauna etc.

3. johnnypy

johnnypy Member

Tank is 75gal. Lit by 4x30w T8s - currently 1x Grolux, 1xDennerle and 2 Arcadia reflectors. I've also recently put in a moonlight LED which is great for watching my Brochis, upside down catfish and Ancistrus come out to feed. Filtration is by a Rena external filter, large Fluval internal and a small Fluval powering a CO2 reactor. Substrate is mainly plain old quartz gravel but some of the heavy feeding plants are potted in a Dennerle substrate.

I mix up my own fertilisers using a the 'daily dosing drops' formula. Make these up from dry ingredients from Aquaessentials - I dose very heavily but still reckon it only costs £25-35 per year. 25% water change with rain water every week.

Plants at the moment are mainly fast growers which I'm gradually replacing with slower growers. I have a large number of Cryptocoryne wendtii which have turned a very nice mahogany colour in the bright light. Stem plants are Limnophila sessiliflora, Hyg.polysperma, Gymnocoronis spilanthoides, Bacopa and Nesaea plus a few others. Lots of java fern and Ceratopteris as well. I've been especially pleased with my stones covered with Monosolenium and Riccia (held in place with hairnets)

I've planted a few bulbs which are really taking off - Aponogeton crispus and boivinianus and Nymphaea zenkeri, stellata and micrantha. Bit disappointed with an Echinodorus x barthii - you can hardly see it, it seems to have sat and sulked since it was immersed - a few submersed leaves starting which are a good colour so I'll give it a chance.

Fish are mainly small tetras, rasboras and barbs. I put in some Amano shrimp but have only seen them on very rare occasions since then.

John

4. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

Jungle is certainly the word!
    I like it a lot

5. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

nice tank, i like the 1st pic :)