• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Juwel Rio 300 A New Beginning

Re: Juwel 350litre Aquarium

Just a quick update.
Time for a 100litre water change, using 50% RO and 50% tap water, hose goes straight out the patio doors into a bucket which i use to clean my filter pads and media :thumbup:
waterchangew.jpg

Think I better pencil in a more frequent filter cleaning programme :oops:
p1020626w.jpg

I use the internal 1000LPH filter head which I cut out the Juwel to get the water back into my aquarium as opposed to lifting up 25litre barrels and getting water all over my floor.
p1020650i.jpg

Water goes in at a nice steady rate, without disturbing the substrate or the fish.
p1000654qs.jpg

p1000658ou.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality on this pic, but I think its funny how anytime I play about with the Aquarium the Rams come over to investigate. Which is why I don't always opt for the quickest and easiest ways of doing things, such as water changes, It gives me time to admire and interact with my fish, which is the whole point of me doing all this :thumb up:
waterchange1.jpg

Time for my 100litre water change again, I should have carried this out yesterday, however I thought my time would be better spent sleeping all day :shh: My water levels are generally good, so I'm sure the plants and fish will forgive me just this once. I've decided seeing as the plants are doing quite well, I'm gonna build up the hardscape on the left hand side using some more stone to try and make the aquarium look a little more full. I have some mosses and riccia i'm not currently using, so I thought It would be a shame to waste them, so I could possibly incorporate these somewhere. I've also been thinking I may choose a different foreground plant. My Marsilea hirsute is doing really well, but I think I may try something else, not sure what though..Any suggestions are welcome!
Marsilea hirsute doing well :thumbup:
p1000666e.jpg

Gary Nelson said:
Looks nice and healthy, do you dry dose your ferts or mix them in water before adding?
Thanks Gary, what I do with the dry powders is, weigh them in a plastic disposable cup, then scoop some aquarium water out the tank to mix the powders with, stir it with a teaspoon and then gently poor it in, just in front of the outlet pipe of the filter. I always make sure I add the fertilisers before the lights come on, not for any other reason other than to not confuse the fish. I understand that ferts may not harm fish, however I wouldn't fancy a mouth full of trace mix when i'm looking for my lunch :sick:

Just a quick update, I've decided i've had enough of my present foreground plant as it's growing out of control. I was only going to pull a little out, but it all came out in virtually one piece. I was thinking of splitting up my Blyxa Japonica and using that as a foreground, but I really didn't want to disturb it as it was going really well. So i'll have to get my thinking cap on :?

glosso3.jpg

glosso2.jpg

glossot.jpg

Re: 350 litre, how to dose EI whilst I'm on Holiday?

Hiya all, It's just dawned on me i'm going on holiday for 3 weeks and I was wondering how I could go about dosing my aquarium whilst I was away? I will have my parents coming around once a week to do a water change, however like many others on UKAPS I have a daily dosing regime, any thoughts or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Timms2011 said:
Hiya all, It's just dawned on me i'm going on holiday for 3 weeks and I was wondering how I could go about dosing my aquarium whilst I was away? I will have my parents coming around once a week to do a water change, however like many others on UKAPS I have a daily dosing regime, any thoughts or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

You could get yourself a dosing unit?
http://www.simplyaquaria.co.uk/Kamoer_3 ... 25293.aspx
Once you have bought it you'll never need to manually dose ever again... ;)

Splinun said:
Timms2011 said:

You could get yourself a dosing unit?
http://www.simplyaquaria.co.uk/Kamoer_3 ... 25293.aspx
Once you have bought it you'll never need to manually dose ever again... ;)
I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend this amount of money to be honest, but maybe as a last resort!

Trust me, best thing you will ever do. Imagine not manually dosing every day ;)

Juwel 350 litre update

Just A couple iPhone pics of my aquarium after adding a few new plants, and a new C02 diffuser I picked up from my recent trip to Hong Kong :thumbup: I wanted more of a jungle effect so some of my smaller fish could hide more, I believe my last layout was a little too bare and made the fish a little nervous forcing them to take cover in the aquarium corners. Now that problem has been solved :D

Side view
img1442001.jpg

Another view from the side, the front view came out blurry, so i'll have another go tomorrow!
img1443gs.jpg

Awesome.
Looks lush in there buddy.

Looks amazing. Def given me some ideas for my tank.

Hi, I've just read this journal from start and am very impressed with what you have achieved. Growth is excellent and it looks great with the mix of Vallis and Balansae as background plants. I love tall background plants which lean forward and cover part of the tank, such as in this pic of yours...

juwelrio35012weeks.jpg

However I have a couple of questions...

1) How are your filter returns set up (method and direction) such that the vallis flows forward only ? (Tall plants in my tank dont 'lean' the way I want them to).
2) Does this not cut the light down meaning your carpet plants struggle ? (Obviously not, because the rest of your plants look healthy as well, but do you compensate by having a longer photo period ?, and how long is it?).
3) Where is your diffuser located (in relation to your pump/filter outflow) ?
4) Did you clarify your CO2 injection rate ?
5) What did you do about fert dosing whilst away in the end ? Did you change your lighting period whilst away ?

Thanks, and keep up the excellent work, I love this size tank as well as whats inside it.
Cheers
Chris

Ady34 said:
Awesome.
Looks lush in there buddy.
Thank you very much Ady, unfortunately I may well be taking this aquarium down in the coming months, as I may be moving house, but that'll give me the opportunity to bank the substrate allot more when I start the new tank and try some new ideas. All this tank was really about was can I actually grow healthy looking plants? I've allot more to learn, but i'm happy with what i've achieved here :thumbup:

Antipofish said:
Hi, I've just read this journal from start and am very impressed with what you have achieved. Growth is excellent and it looks great with the mix of Vallis and Balansae as background plants. I love tall background plants which lean forward and cover part of the tank, such as in this pic of yours...

juwelrio35012weeks.jpg

However I have a couple of questions...

1) How are your filter returns set up (method and direction) such that the vallis flows forward only ? (Tall plants in my tank dont 'lean' the way I want them to).
2) Does this not cut the light down meaning your carpet plants struggle ? (Obviously not, because the rest of your plants look healthy as well, but do you compensate by having a longer photo period ?, and how long is it?).
3) Where is your diffuser located (in relation to your pump/filter outflow) ?
4) Did you clarify your CO2 injection rate ?
5) What did you do about fert dosing whilst away in the end ? Did you change your lighting period whilst away ?

Thanks, and keep up the excellent work, I love this size tank as well as whats inside it.
Cheers
Chris
Hiya Antipofish, thank you for taking the time to read my journal and i'm happy you like it :thumbup: I'll have a go at answering your questions.

Originally I had just one filter with the inlet on the left-hand side of the aquarium and the outlet on the right hand side, blowing across the back, from right to left. Since adding some additional plants I've introduced a second external filter rena XP3, I use the 10' spraybar it came with, this helps keep the C02 bubbles in the water for longer as it forces them down almost to the substrate level, and when the rise my circulation pump jets them over to the other side of the aquarium. Both inlets are on the left hand side along with the spraybar outlet.

I never found any plants struggling as a result of the vallis being so long, I only cut it back as the food flakes from my automatic feeder wasn't getting to the fish effectively as it was getting caught in the strands. In the end I decided to pull it out as it just grew to thick and quickly, and I couldn't risk the fish not getting there food whilst I was away for 3 weeks. I replaced it with Cyperus helferi which seems to grow allot slower, but suits my needs better.

The C02 levels I've upped to accommodate the growth of the plants, I'm not entirely sure how much I'm currently dosing as I still have no bubble counter, My PH indicator is useless as well as i'm using 100% RO water, so the water in the indicator has no colour at all. I have allot of surface agitation from the spraybar and the air stone still comes on half an hour before the light turn out, and that remains on for a further 10 hours so theres no chance of gassing the fish, all this along with this my wife is at home all day to keep an eye on things for me :lol:

The diffuser is still in the same place front bottom left of my aquarium, only I changed my diffuser from a ADA pollen glass to one I picked up from Hong Kong, a spare whilst one is being cleaned. The Lighting periods have never changed, as for the dosing regime whilst I was away, I was lucky enough to get my nephew to undergo this task. He dosed micro Monday and friday, with Trace on wednesdays... I now only do a 20% water change each week on a Sunday.

I hope this helps you in some way, anymore questions please feel free to ask, or any criticisms I'm happy to listen to also :thumbup:

As with Antipofish I have just read the thread from start to finish and it has given me some ideas as to what to do with mine ..... I think I need to start dosing when I get my new Co2 system and also a drop checker and Im gonna use a Mixer Reactor Diffuser and this is what Ive ordered http://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/ . Hopefully I can get lush green growth like yours then.

Murf said:
As with Antipofish I have just read the thread from start to finish and it has given me some ideas as to what to do with mine ..... I think I need to start dosing when I get my new Co2 system and also a drop checker and Im gonna use a Mixer Reactor Diffuser and this is what Ive ordered http://www.co2supermarket.co.uk/ . Hopefully I can get lush green growth like yours then.
Hello Murf, Thank you for taking the time to look at my journal, I'm sure your aquarium will look equally as good as lush green as mine, if not better :thumbup:

Back