• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kallax for aquarium or alternatives?

pollyandpear

I am about to buy a new tank, I am either going to go for the pticlear low profile, 120 x 30 x 30, or a DIVERSA 100 x 45 x30 or one from ebay, 91 x 46 x 30cm.

I don't love the look of tank stands, ideally wanted to use my IKEA kallaz unit, however have read they can only take 25kg. Alternative is a bench?

Any ideas on what I may be able to use to safely have it on top?

I have a 70l and a terrarium currently on a Kallax and so far so good.
I've made sure the tank sits over a vertical support. Mine is OK but a support along the back of the unit to stop it flexing side to side wouldn't hurt.
I'd imagine the wider rltanks you're talking about will actually be better as they'll span multiple supports. Just need to keep in mind that it's entirely at your risk if you use something from IKEA vs a proper stand.

Thank you.

Could you possible recommend somewhere I may look for a 120cm long stand that perhaps looks more like a bench, isn't so blocky?

I've got a 60P and 45P on a kallax unit and it can handle it fine but with one caveat. I would not feel safe doing so without a proper fixing into the wall.

Plenty of well built sideboards out there which would do the job

The one I was considering was this one, I am sure I could get a fixing to the wall if needed.

I have my 60p on a besta and it seems fine but I did add metal support frames to the corners just in case. I feel like if one of these ikea pieces failed it would be collapsing to the left or right not falling down on itself.

Kallax is not easy to reinforce, or to fix firmly to a wall; it only has a thin veneer of particle board over a paper honeycomb core. Nothing for screws to get a good grip on. I would also be concerned about its ability to stand up to water spillage.

I’ve used a Kallax 2x2 for a 60p. It’s about as comfortable I can be with them. I put a well cut piece of plywood across the top and I had a back board too. A knock from the side and it will give fairly easily (I think).

They’re cheap, nice looking (imo) but I’m a bit unsure about them for say 200kg on top.

We’ve got a Kallax unit in the kids’ room and I wouldn’t trust it with anything heavy. It’s a very lightweight construction with a top and sides that seem hollow. Without some form of back board or brace, it will also easily collapse if knocked from the side.

These are the wall supports I added, one at either end so they are opposing each other and both fixed into studs, without this I wouldn't chance much at all on it as it had far too much side to side movement which was the biggest danger, now it's solid but definitely need to be careful with water damage

20230213_192935.jpg

You could enclose the kallax so it gave you the look without taking the weight e.g. a bit of wood supported by the wall along the back edge, then a vertical board supporting each end (made of something other than cardboard). You could oversail and add a support leg at the front centre too.

I've kitchen wall units (30cm deep) fixed to the wall and with kitchen work top on top. Only supporting a 30x30x75 but now you posted the 30x30x120 I'm tempted 😆

I don't know about Kallaz but I have been using a FJÄLLBO for a 60p. It's rated for a max load of 34kg but I think that's just Ikea protecting its a**. They are quite sturdy, made of metal and partially soldered. Can't see how that couldn't handle at least double the advertised max load.

fjaellbo-shelving-unit-black__1071961_pe855055_s5.jpg

I see Ikea also has a a different design like so:
fjaellbo-sideboard-black__1129167_pe891018_s5.jpg

Board across the upper or lower back section.
This will leave gaps for you to attach to the wall.
Also put oiled or varnished thin sheet of plywood on the whole top.
As mentioned above they are basically hollow so torque down your screw driver or the screws will just spin. You can make a really simple stand that's probably stronger, but looks worse?
If you plan the wood sizes you can get a merchant to cut it all for you. Good luck!

I went down all of these options and then just built my own from hardwood ply and painted it with bathroom paint. It will literally hold a car if needed so 150Kg of tank is nothing. Plywood is extremely strong as the veneers that make it up and laid up at right angles for structural support and bonded by glue per veneer sheet - you wouldn't even need to protect it with paint or wax/varnish. MDF is different in that it will swell if wet and more care needs to be taken if using this as a material.

Got it all cut from B&Q for free and it cost me around £70 including paint/soft-close hinges/filler and screws.

I have been looking at options for tank tables and it's worth remembering that 1 litre of water = 1 kg, so pretty much anything over 50 or 60 litres is the weight of a full grown adult. One option I Iooked at recently was old machine tables, the kind used for sowing machines and the like, these are available on eBay and many have decorative iron legs.

Back