• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Keeping otos in a hard water area (~280 mg/L of CaCO3)

Katharine

I am setting up my first tank after a long break and would love to keep otocinclus, but I live in a very hard water area!

Does anyone have any advice on:
(a) How much I'd need to dilute the water with RO water to reach a suitable water hardness to keep otos/your experience of keeping otos in a hard water area
(b) Fish suggestions if I decide against going the RO route

Very tricky keeping oto's in London tap water alright. I've had them for a while now and about a third seem to die randomly but I've found that once the get past a month or two they do pretty well. I'm not using RO water which I know isn't ideal.

Very tricky keeping oto's in London tap water alright. I've had them for a while now and about a third seem to die randomly but I've found that once the get past a month or two they do pretty well. I'm not using RO water which I know isn't ideal.
That's good to know, thank you! I guess it's hard to know for certain what's to blame for your losses, it may be you'd have lost some anyway.

I have them in soft water , I got them with little experience of Ottos L ost one after about 6 months but they have done well although another got sick with a mystery ailment but recovered after quarantine. The thing is l feel they must have a well planted tank that is mature, a new set up might not be best. Sometimes l don't see them for a day or two then happily all visible. Important to supply some fresh food for them IMO

I've had them in hard water.
They do need a mature, stable tank, as @PARAGUAY says.
And you need to find healthy stock, which is not always easy. If they look at all underfed they are unlikely to recover; if they have been starved during shipping they can lose essential bacteria from their digestive tract.

Thanks guys! I will make sure the tank is well established before I get any otos, and that I've got a few options for feeding them. Seems like that might be more critical than water hardness!

Think it was Cory at Aquarium Coop who feeds any imports of Ottocinclus with Repashy because of likely to be starved on receiving.
I can confirm otos love repashy. I feed super green and as soon as it hits the bottom of the tank they are on it. When I feed zucchini or other veggies they will graze on and off but there is no rush to get to it and they don’t stay on top of it until it’s gone like they do with repashy.

I think you can do a newish setup, but it needs to be at the really grungy stage - diatoms everywhere and new wood covered in lovely slimey biofilm - and you have to be willing to leave it that way and not manually clean. I've done that for quarentining them. I second (third?) the repashy. I think with veggies they don't like them too fresh, they show more interest 12 hours in than first thing. I pour boiling water over the veg first, but even then I get the impression they eat the softened surface and then have a gap to wait for the rest to start disintergrating. I never take veggies out after a set time, just let the fish/shrimp munch them until they are gone even if that's 36+ hours later.

I have never used soilent green but I have read that otos seem to prefer super green so that’s what I bought. Both would be fine for them though. I feed repashy about every two days as it is a little high in protein.

Hi all,
I have never used soilent green but I have read that otos seem to prefer super green so that’s what I bought. Both would be fine for them though.
This is the ingredient breakdown.
Super Green:
INGREDIENTS: Spirulina Algae, Algae Meal (Chlorella), Pea Protein Isolate, Rice Protein Concentrate, Alfalfa Leaf Powder, Stabalized Rice Bran, Dandelion Powder, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Coconut Meal, Ground Flaxseed, Schizochytrium Algae, Dried Seaweed Meal, Dried Kelp, Locust Bean Gum, Lecithin, Potassium Citrate, Taurine, Stinging Nettle, Garlic, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2- Monophosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).

Soilent Green:
INGREDIENTS: Spirulina Algae, Algae Meal (Chlorella), Krill Meal, Pea Protein Isolate, Squid Meal, Rice Protein Concentrate, Fish Meal, Alfalfa Leaf Meal, Dried Brewer’s Yeast, Coconut Meal, Stabilized Rice Bran, Flax Seed Meal, Schizochytrium Algae, Dried Seaweed Meal, Lecithin, Dried Kelp, Locust Bean Gum, Potassium Citrate, Taurine, Stinging Nettle, Garlic, RoseHips, Hibiscus Flower, Calendula Flower, Marigold Flower, Paprika, Turmeric, Salt, Calcium Propionate and Potassium Sorbate (as preservatives), Magnesium Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Manganese Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Copper Methionine Hydroxy Analogue Chelate, Selenium Yeast. Vitamins: (Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium L-Ascorbyl-2-Monophosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Beta Carotene, Pantothenic Acid, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex).
I feed repashy about every two days as it is a little high in protein.
I'd still mix it with <"some vegetables">, structural <"leaf litter"> etc.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Back