• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Kessil led lighting

Dave m

Seedling
Hi could someone please help me I'm thinking of buying some leds for my 5ft tank the dimensions are 5x2x2 it will be heavily planted with co2 injection how many lights would you recommend

Hi Dave,

I don't actually own any kessils but i have plenty of experience stalking other people's journals ;)

They are rated for 2'x2' footprint, so you could get away with 2 for an island Scape but 3 would give you better coverage. From what i have seen intensity is generally not an issue but the point light source casts heavy shadows so if you want densely planted then 3 should give you what you need.

Someone who actually has some should chime in on the recommended model, most people plump for the a360 on larger tanks. That said, i haven't seen many running either the a160 or a360 at full whack anyway.

Hope this is of some help, a bump if nothing else =D

CMac

George Farmer has a large tank with two Kessils. Ask him about it also.

2 A160 will do the job well enough - (I use Kessil lighs).

OH, but at 60CM depth, look at the 360's, i've only ever used A160's on 45cm depth, and less.

I use 1 a160 on 60x45 with no issues but they do cast shadows but that's not the worst thing in the world some fish may want to escape the sunshine ;)

Same size tank here ( link in sig) and I have four A160s plus added some T5s, cost off the T5s was less than a Kessil. Tank still in its early stages and yet have to get the balance right as I lack the experience of George OFC. One minor thing about the A360 is you can only lower the intensity to 50% but the A160 can be lowered to 5%. which for me was a big bonus as I have setup mine up with a PLC (Programmable Logic Controler) which controls well basically everything, so I have a Moonlight passover period in the evening where one kessil is on at a time for period off time at 5%. Only just fitted the PLC last week, but the Moonlight period is so sexy I love it.

PLC wasnt cheap either but it controls everything even the water temp - well will do when termistor arrives, can even turn stuff on and off via phone

Back