• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Kids' Project. Moss on Bogwood in the Garden

Fox

I nearly fell out with my good lady a few years ago as had 2 outbuildings as fish-rooms. The rooms are now a utility room and a kids playroom - and not a fish-tank to be seen anywhere at home. I have a little unit on a friend's farm with my fish, but earlier this week I got one of 'those looks' as I turned up at home carrying a small clearseal tank.

My kids (boy 6, girl 3) are kind of interested in fish (but only feeding them), so thought perhaps we'd have a little project for the summer holidays to see if we could grow some moss on bogwood in the garden.

I'm completely cack-handed, but after a while I had several pieces of bogwood with java moss tied on with cotton. Filled tank with the hose (possibly should have used tank water to start?).

24th July
7646583418_c8ae873c60.jpg

I found a nice piece of 'root' that I added yesterday, but noticed the water was really quite warm, been in the sun all day. I chucked the hose in and kept it running until the water was quite cool again (getting towards 100% WC I'd guess, although wasn't drained - just overflowed)

Tank will catch the sun from mid-morning until sunset. Regular massive water changes to keep algae at bay. Tank has a piece of acrylic sitting on top (with holes which were already in it). Scooped any escapee pieces of moss into a jam jar which is also sitting out there.

Do I worry about bugs moving in, or will regular water changes keep them at bay? Any other tips for someone who has never managed to keep an aquatic plant alive for more than about a week?

I sat watching the tank yesterday but didn't see any growth :lol:

Add daphnia. Excellent tank for them to grow in and keep bugs at bay :)

Just refilling with the hose should remove most stuff "mechanically". Doubt the amount of chlorine would do much except against bacteria?

Go emerse.. :) easy to do. Cover with clingfilm and have the kids spray daily. Soon the plants get used to emersed and you can have then pools of water, spiders moving in, some other bugs, etc.

Also as it is a clear seal just easy to cover with an acrylic sheet cut to measure.

Hmm, maybe that sounds like project #2 :) Would an emersed set-up still be ok in direct sunlight or will it dry out too quick?

ghostsword said:
Go emerse.. :) easy to do. Cover with clingfilm and have the kids spray daily. Soon the plants get used to emersed and you can have then pools of water, spiders moving in, some other bugs, etc.

Also as it is a clear seal just easy to cover with an acrylic sheet cut to measure.

I got mine on direct sunlight, open to the elements. :) Only issue are the snails, they eat the hygrophilas..

I even got java fern emersed on the garden. Moss would dry out too quickly, so you should keep the tank covered up. During heat just have the kids squirt water inside the tank, add bugs and earthworms to it.. make it natural.

I think if I go emmerse, it'll be a covered tank with a shallow water level to keep the humidity up. If they stay interested in the submerged project for a while (managed about 3 days so far!) then we'll think about project #2

HI
Your moss will grow much quicker emmersed.
You will see new growth within 3 to 4 weeks....get the kids to spray it every few days with fresh water from the tap thats all you need.
hoggie

This is going to end up one algae-infested soupy mess. You can go no flow with mosses, but then you must keep them very well shaded. This is going to be outdoors with tons of light, no shrimps to clean, and no flow/filter. This is a recipe for disaster. Go emersed, or shade the thing and add shrimps or you may fall out with your lady after all when she realizes you put 'swamp thing' in her lovely garden.

well, the wife's away for a few days (visiting MY parents :lol: ) but I did notice a bit of algae already on the wood today.

If I go emmersed, does the wood just sit on a bare-bottomed tank or should I provide a substrate for bugs and stuff? The lid currently has holes drilled, should I cover this completely to keep humidity levels up? What about any build up of water in the tank - or are we talking just a light sprinkling of water daily? Do I literally pull the plug and go emmersed straight away or change gradually? (basically, an idiots-guide-to would be handy!).

So... I can add 'growing moss' to my list of plant-life failures :lol:

I drained the tank leaving a few cm of water, sprayed and covered. It looked pretty humid and moist, but came home and the moss had been frazzled by the sun. I'm glad I can keep fish alive as appear to be hopeless with plants :(

If you left it on the sun without a cover of clingfilm then it is expected. :)

I am going to put a 120L tank on the garden today, will cover with clingfilm and will try to grow all the plants I had submerged completely emersed.

Just need to cover with clingfilm, that is it. :)

Back