• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Koh Lanta - Landscapes in portrait

Nice shots mate. I'll bet you had a blast!

Of the three monochrome shots, the most balanced technically is the first, which shows good overall detail and excellent exposure of land sea and sky. The other two though are handicapped by overexposure of sky and loss of detail in underexposed rocks/land. A graduated neutral density filter is always a great addition which helps mitigate this. Photoshop might also be able to pull some data out of the rocks.

Here's just a sample of what to shoot for. Recovered some detail in sky and pulled some data from the rocks. No accounting for taste though, may be too gray for some:
5029444535_8a9ddbaaeb.jpg
2066533270038170470S600x600Q85.jpg

Love the color shots. Nice colors in the dawn/dusk shot but there are some specks in the sky. The other color shot of the rocks and sky is excellent!

Cheers,

It was pretty fun. I went there during the low season, so it was cheap and wasn't crowded at all. Great weekend getaway!

Thanks for the comments and the pointers. Usually when I go B&W, I bump the contrast up like mad in order to burn out some areas and hide some areas. I go for that old less-capable camera look if you know what I mean. But I do see your point, too-large a burnt out area is distracting.

Too bad about the specks in the sky. Was too lazy to clone out the powerlines and spacer things.

Back