• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

larger shrimp

discusdan

Hey guys, I've just added another 4 Amano shrimp to my tank they're brilliant fun to watch.

I'm just wondering if there are any other larger shrimp that can mix with my amano's that are more colourful.

I did wonder about adding some cherry and bumble bee shrimp but my tank is a 200l and even the larger amano's can hide well.

I've also heard its not a good idea to mix cherry shrimp with amano's but not sure if that only applies to smaller tanks?

cheers.

I had some rock shrimp. not really colorful but great to watch. they fan there legs out sit in the flow and catch food. I seen some really big ones im my local shop last week

ant

cheers for the suggestion.
They sound a bit like bamboo shrimp. my lfs has some bamboo shrimp in and they are big. They sit in the current and wave there legs about to catch food.

I was after something a bit more colour full though.

I had some rock shrimp. not really colorful but great to watch
ant
Meanwhile, this is one of the most peaceful yet BORING animals I ever had. The only thing they do, if everything is OK in your tank, is sitting in the current. Like a furniture :)

Atya shrimp (vampire shrimp) get quite big and are peaceful. I have two in the tank with cherry, rhili,and orange shrimp. They are great to watch. When ever I have a trim then waft the net to pick up the old leaves etc they appear from nowhere waving their nets They love water changes too.:)

cheers for all the suggestions guys.

I know what you mean about the bamboo shrimp, I saw them in my lfs for the first time sitting in the tank, I then went back a week later and they were still sitting in exactly the same position, not moved an inch!

The only problem with cherry shrimp is I dont think I'd ever see them in my tank unless I had a lot of them and thats going to be expensive. I'm Also planning on keeping discus so expect they would become dinner.

Not sure on the atya shrimp, I did a quick search and it seems they vary a lot in colour, their also a bit weird looking :)
Seems all the pretty shrimp are small. I like the rhili shrimp, what sort of size are they?

water change is about the only time I get to see all my amano's. when I turn the filters off they go mad, I guess because of the lack of current. They swim around frantically for about 10 mins before resting on a bit of wood or leaf.

vampire shrimp look great, little boy calls them rhinos. Rilli are just selective bred cherries, so same size

ave2e8yj.jpg
. You will soon have hundreds of cherry/rhili shrimp, I started with 15, I now have over 300 . Every filter clean I find a min of 10 babies. Feeding time is like a red carpet.:)

I used to have a cherry tank any cichlid would see them as a yummy treat but cherrys have the fact that they are prolific breeders on their side so might've able to sustain a small population

Back