• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Laterite Anthill Soil

I am currently in Misiones, Argentina, up North some hours away from Iguazú Falls. Earth here is a rich red laterite, of which I will already take some to use as substrate in new builds someday. However, I've noticed some massive anthills and that got me thinking, eventually arriving to this piece of info.

However, from a soil science point of view, various scientists have revealed that termites– including other fauna species in the soil environment—play a crucial role in anthill construction. The activity entails anthill building ants assembling woody debris for their nests and forage, which is utilized as food for colonies. As a consequence of this action, anthills are supplied with soil organic matter and inorganic nutrient elements, consisting of P, K, Ca, Mg and Na, in comparison with adjacent soils [9]. Further, bioturbation activities potentially contribute to changing; (i) soil physical characteristics, such as porosity and infiltration, (ii) soil micro-organisms and resulting fauna biomass and (iii) speedy of organic matter decomposition. Scholars have all linked soil physical-chemical characteristics of anthill soil to the building activities of ants [10,11] which makes anthill soils more fertile with key nutrient elements needed for crop production in comparison with surrounding soils.

Reckon it's worth a shot? Dirted tank, anthill laterite soil + sand?

My phone, as always. We were netting some baitfish while trying to avoid these buggers, they absolutely refuse to be left behind.

I'm chuffed, yeap. I'll send some more after I go down to the river now. Can't find the exact species, they are TINY, but I'll ask an ichthyologist I know.

WhatsApp Image 2024-03-10 at 11.22.27 AM.jpeg

Back