• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lava rock stacking

Aqua360

Hi all

Hoping to generate some discussion and get some ideas for stacking lava rocks more effectively!

I've used it in smaller nano's, but I recently bought a slightly bigger 55l (aquanano 40), and is slightly more of a challenge.

My initial thought is to use lava rock/soil as a sloped layer and build up height firstly that way, creating a solid base. Or using mesh filter bags to create even more height, but if anyone has other recommendations I'm all ears.

To add some context to this, here is a very rough first pic, I have the rocks in the pic, along with another large one and a couple small/medium; wondering whether it would be worth breaking up some of these again, and stacking rock,lava soil, rock
PXL_20240310_182114449.jpg

I shall be watching this with interest as I will be trying to do something similar when I finally get a new tank.

What are you looking to achieve, more height and depth?

Using smaller stones underneath can work yes. Or using flat stones to create retraining walls within the soil, so it doesn’t level out over time works.

People have used polystyrene under stones too as it’s lightweight and cheap.

What are you looking to achieve, more height and depth?

Using smaller stones underneath can work yes. Or using flat stones to create retraining walls within the soil, so it doesn’t level out over time works.

People have used polystyrene under stones too as it’s lightweight and cheap.
Something similar to this, but I'm limited by smaller dimensions. My idea is to put a thin layer down, then the initial rocks, then add more substrate, and stack that way, but we'll see if it works...
60p-lava-rock-hardscape-for-my-new-flat-v0-jtl88kwn10fa1.jpg

Lava rock make stable rock pile as they are light in weight and have good traction to grip on one another. I use them as foundation to attach epiphytes. I don’t pile dirt on top of rock to root plants but rather hide non epiphytes in net pots hidden behind rock. I prefer hollow out rock to gain height without adding weight and can create cave habitat, but they are more expensive. Here are historical photos on how I gradually convert a rock scape into plant scapes over time.

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0956.jpeg
    IMG_0956.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0401.jpeg
    IMG_0401.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
You could try putty for marine rocks, mix it grey/black and use that to join the rocks?

James Findley did one with the "hot glue" system, A Green Machine tutorial,?as l remember it was quite a mountain when finished

Looking at the picture you posted, there could be some expanding foam showing on the left hand side?
Years ago when I was working with hard landscaping, you could buy black expanding foam but I have not seen any for sale of late.

Hi all,
saw this earlier, quite good to see the layering effect:

I have seen demonstration in YouTube you can use cigarette filter in conjunction with superglue to bond rock. The two will react exothermally to form strong bond with good contact, but be careful to avoid getting burnt. I have not tried it myself though as I don’t want to permanently bond rock as I rearrange rock scape often. Since my initial set up of the rock scape a few years back, I have rearranged the layout dozens time as plants grow, mature or are replaced. What’s nice about lava rock is that they grip on one other strongly with low susceptability of slipping.

Hi all,

another link here from Oliver Knott, really good illustration of using a haggis to add height

Back