• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lead Weight alternative

Gill

I remember from back in the early 80's, plants used to come weighted not in the strips of lead but with a thick wire.
While looking for something the garage, I came accross a coil of soldering wire. It is 2mm thick, would this be fish/shrimp safe. As Have quite alot of it, and would look a damn sight better than strips of lead weights.

As long as the solder is plumbing solder and is lead free then should be safe. :)

geoffbark said:
As long as the solder is plumbing solder and is lead free then should be safe. :)

Have no Idea, there is no label on it. Will leave some in a cup of water and see what happens

NattyAntlers said:
Some solders have a flux core so you would probably have to melt some to check.
I wouldn't put flux in your tank. The data sheet I have for flux cored solder says "slightly soluble in water" and then goes on to list the aquatic toxitity to various types of fish (actually doesn't say what it does to the fish, but I think it is giving blood contamination levels). No LD50 (lethal dose to kill 50%) is given.

Lead is fine, one it acquires a coating of oxide or calcium carbonate ie goes dull & crusty, it can no longer get into the water, assuming you water is not 100% soft. Many houses still have lead pipes.

Lead is not fine!!!!

Plumbing solder is lead free and normally flux free! ensure this first.

Yes some older properties still have lead pipes, but most get replaced or lined now. And in the fishing world lead weights have been banned. :)

This reel is prob over 15 years old, came from an ancient diy store we used to have in the area in the 80's.
Will leave it alone, thanks for the info.

geoffbark said:
Lead is not fine!!!!

Yes some older properties still have lead pipes, but most get replaced or lined now. And in the fishing world lead weights have been banned. :)

Only certain sizes of weights are banned in lead and that is only in the uk, everywhere else still use as much lead as they like.

gbagger said:
geoffbark said:
Lead is not fine!!!!

Only certain sizes of weights are banned in lead and that is only in the uk, everywhere else still use as much lead as they like.

Correct, but i was trying to make a point, and that is lead is toxic, so avoid if you possibly can :)

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/37941.aspx

If anyone wants to know which lead types may be used for fishing :D

Back