• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leaf Cutting Bee

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Saw a bee carrying a leaf fragment out of the corner of my eye disappearing into a hole in my decrepit wooden balcony rail. Intrigued I hung around and managed to get these snaps with my iPhone, Fascinating insects. Leaf-cutting bees / RHS Gardening

IMG_7457.jpeg

IMG_7459.jpeg

IMG_7454.jpeg

IMG_7460.jpeg

IMG_7455.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7458.jpeg
    IMG_7458.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 76
Thanks Paulo. Apparently she's using the leaf fragments to build cells within her nest, which she'll provision with nectar and pollen. She'll lay up to 20 eggs sealing each individual egg chamber off as she goes along. The new bees will emerge sometime mid July. Makes me appreciate the value of a bug hotel and providing habitat for these valuable pollinating insects even more.

Hi all,
Thanks Paulo, apparently she's using the leaf fragments to build cells within her nest, which she'll provision with nectar and pollen.
These are the leaves after she has visited, often Rose and always these really neat semi-circles.

Cheers Darrel

Attachments

• IMG_20230617_202010598.jpg
    IMG_20230617_202010598.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 81
I've had a look around the garden and I can't find where she's cutting her leaves from. I had hoped to bring this full circle and show you some pics of the neat semi-circle Darrel mentioned, but alas none have anything missing. I'll continue the search tomorrow.

Hi all,
....... I had hoped to bring this full circle and show you some pics of the neat semi-circle Darrel mentioned, but alas none have anything missing. I'll continue the search tomorrow.
Other way around for me, I know where she gets the leaves from, but not where the nest is.

The other damage to the rose leaves (the brown areas) is another Hymenoptera, a Rose Sawfly of some description.

In the glasshouse the leaf cutter bee's nest in the drier plant pots, usually ones with succulents growing in them.

The bee's look Honey-bee like, but carry the pollen on the underside of the abdomen and thorax, rather than in pollen baskets on their legs.

Cheers Darrel

Hi all,
These are the leaves after she has visited, often Rose and always these really neat semi-circles.
The Rose is David Austen one, <"Harlow Carr">, a horrible thorny thing with floppy stems, but a fantastic flowerer, disease free and very sweetly scented.

Cheers Darrel

Attachments

• 16870347199285923232827656817531.jpg
    16870347199285923232827656817531.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Sounds lovely. Is the house old as well?
Ah, thank you. No the house was built in the late 1970s, and hasn't been touched since, and needs a full refurb. The rotting railing is just one of many projects that need attention, and the last on a long list. But that's proven to be very fortuitous :)

The same here @seedoubleyou. It's a bit freaky, At first I heard this distant buzzing that I put down to a neighbours power tools. Then when it's almost up on you, you realise it's a swarm of bees. And let me tell you, the inclination is to get the hell out of the way ASAP.

A couple of years ago my son s Laurel Hedge was taken over by a swarm of Honey Bees The local Bee society said most likely they have been disturbed and on the move, they offered to capture the swarm but they moved on of their own before the offer was taken up.
Farther back a lot of Bumble Bees took over the Blue Tits nestbox at my own house the Bee experts said they were harmless and by August would vacate the box ,really placid bees allover garden and in August they went,

Back