• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leak Problem

Stu1407

I would be grateful for some advise as I'm tearing my hair out over this. Recently decided to get serious about a fully planted tank which so far has gone really well except for one thing. I bought a complete C02 system from a well known supplier and connected it up following the exact instructions. I also tested for leaks using a proprietary leak fluid. No bubbles visible on the regulator. Three days later noticed there was no C02 and the bottle was empty. Bought a new bottle and followed the same procedure this time double checking. This time the bottle was empty in half the time. It's 3kg's by the way and I'm putting two bubbles a minute into the tank via a bazooka. Pressure on the secondary gauge was at 30psi so just about right and the solenoid is being switched on and off via a plug timer.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Stu

Hi @Stu1407

If I were in your shoes, I'd be getting in touch with the "well known supplier" at the earliest available opportunity.

Other UKAPS members may have other ideas.

JPC

Three days later noticed there was no C02 and the bottle was empty. Bought a new bottle and followed the same procedure this time double checking. This time the bottle was empty in half the time. It's 3kg's by the way and I'm putting two bubbles a minute into the tank via a bazooka.
So there's clearly a leak somewhere. First point and most likely place of failure is here.
20211227_185449.jpg

If that's not leaking second point of failure would be somewhere here.
20211227_185805.jpg

Easiest way to test if the leak is before or after the solenoid is to switch off the solenoid and then depress the lever on the fire extinguisher, now release the lever and see if the pressure drops.

Last edited:
Some of those regs to bottle seals are rock hard and unless you tighten them to excess they just won't compress.
Another leak source I found was the top and bottom screw joints of the bubble checker. I used plumbers tape to get a good seal although this was on a cheap ebay set up. YOU should get onto hour well know supplier and give him blast.

Thanks for your responses guys. They have been really helpful. I was concerned about overtightening but from what you have said this could be the problem. Time to buy some more gas.

If you're still struggling to get it to seal after applying a fair bit of pressure It’s sometimes helpful to remove the plastic washer, turn it through 180⁰ and try again.

Thanks John. Quick further question to all. Should I apply silicone grease to the washer?

Can I also just mention that the regulator in question did not come from C02 Art and I apologise if this has caused any confusion. Their customer service is second to non having already responded to an issue that is in fact was not their problem and they certainly have a future customer.

Last edited:
Back