• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lean dosing pros and cons

an honest update lol.

IMG_3295.jpg

as you can see the rotala/cuphea species are doing much better. indica much less stunting, cuphea is growing decent, wallichii is growing nicely, macrandra has no issues now. bacopa colorata is looking nice and pretty, ludwigia cuba has nice flat leaves. ludwigia white is new. tonina showing no deficiencies.
IMG_3294.jpg

IMG_3292.jpg

although there is a nice amount of algae, i'm super happy with the tank at the moment. algae i'm growing currently:
Cyano (accumulates at the tips of plants for some reason, no where else)
staghorn (some on older leaves.)
GDA on glass. and unhealthy plants.

tank is dosed weekly at
3pm N from Urea (13ppm No3)
0.39ppm P (1.2ppm Po4)
2ppm K
0.05ppm Fe
0.0335pm Mn
0.007ppm Zn
0.007ppm B
0.0035ppm Cu
0.0015ppm Mo
0.00005ppm Ni
18ppm Ca
6ppm Mg

Last edited:

@plantnoobdude

I wish this trial could go on for sometime because we were finally getting somewhere. I know you will be adding the new aqua in few days, feel free to use the Micro/Fe trial to continue that part of the trial, we will discontinue the use of the N and P with the new soil and focus on the K, Fe/Traces and lets see what happens.

1644697371445.png

this plant suppose to grow well under Urea with quite big leaves, not sure what happened here.

@plantnoobdude

there is an Error with your Zn dosing of 0.07, that should be 0.007 ppm.
oops! i am actually thinking of raising Zn dosing though, because i saw burr mention that Zn is partially mobile, and raising it can help with holes in 2nd~4th set of leaves. and the deficiencies i see with hygrophila are never the oldest leaves, always close to the tip but never at the tip.

oops! i am actually thinking of raising Zn dosing though, because i saw burr mention that Zn is partially mobile, and raising it can help with holes in 2nd~4th set of leaves. and the deficiencies i see with hygrophila are never the oldest leaves, always close to the tip but never at the tip.
if that was the case then Tropica must see Zn deficiency quite often. Burr must be following what Sol and Edward has talked about the Zn in some of their topics long ago. fee free to raise whatever you like

this is what Edward recommend:

ppm
0.1 Fe
0.0286 Mn
0.0186 B
0.0200 Zn
0.00086 Mo
0.00142 Cu
0.00010 Ni

you might find this Thread interesting: Ry's Mad Lab - Test for N,P,K,Ca,Mg, Fe, Zn &amp...

your current dose is not far away from what Edward dose, except much better Fe:Mn ratio here
Fe 0.1
B 0.0135
Mn 0.0669
Mo 0.0034
Zn 0.0138
Cu 0.007

Last edited:
hmn, true. but i thought about raising Zn after seeing seachem trace numbers. those seem excessively high. i will see if the "zn deficiency" symptoms persist after the new soil. and if the plant look the same with additional K.

hmn, true. but i thought about raising Zn after seeing seachem trace numbers. those seem excessively high. i will see if the "zn deficiency" symptoms persist after the new soil. and if the plant look the same with additional K.
like I said, feel free to raise the Zn if you like. seachem might be adding so much because they know that it might most likely to be oxidized, especially when its not chelated.

not even hydroponic use high amount of Zn when they are relying on water Colum fertilizer.
Post #43
Latest insights on Calcium

Hi,isn't that a little weird?
6ppm Mg vs 2ppm K
hello macek! yes as happi said, i wanted to dose at least 4gh for my shrimps. I'd like to hear a bit more about your dosing because you grow very nice plants.

plants are looking decent some are a bit scorched cus they dried out a bit yesterday. all in all, after 16 hours in a bag and just 24 hours after a full substrate change, i'd say the tank is looking pretty good. yesterday the wallichii was looking perfect, 0 stunting good colour. cuba as well. cuphea too
IMG_0132.jpg
i find after a big water change plants stunt a bit, this usually resolves in a couple days. this wallichii looked pretty nice yesterday. but below is what it looks like now.
IMG_0131.jpg

still much better compared to what they looked like under EI though!

thinking about reducing micros to 0.025 Fe as proxy weekly. and increasing Ni. maybe to 0.001ppm weekly.

Do you stir up lotsa substrate etc during water change or just water in water out minimal disturbance in substrate?
well actually i swapped out all the soil this week haha.
but generally yes, lots of substrate disturbance. ill try from next time not to disturb the sub as much.

well actually i swapped out all the soil this week haha.
but generally yes, lots of substrate disturbance. ill try from next time not to disturb the sub as much.

Do none at all. Water in water out. And just watch. All new growth should be algae free. Leave old growth to grow minute algae is ok.

Just like to add an update as to where I'm at after 3 weeks.
The tank seems to have turned the corner and is back on track. I've been doing multiple smaller water changes and extra filter cleans which seems to have helped. Lights also dimmed 9%.
Fertilizer wise I stopped dosing Urea and thought I was adding this level of nutrients to the tank.
Added with the weekly water change 2.27ppm Ca & 1.85ppm Mg.
Then via macro - micro dosing p/w:
No3 11.6 ppm
Po4 2.91 ppm
K 8.52 ppm
Mg 0.89 ppm
Fe 0.31 ppm from csm+b
Fe 0.11 ppm Dtpa.
Came to make a new mix up tonight and realised I've only been adding 75ml of macro solution instead of 100ml p/w and 75ml of micro instead of 90ml. So I've actually been adding.

No3 8.7ppm
P04 2.18ppm
K 6.39ppm
Mg 0.74ppm
Fe 0.25ppm (from csm+b)
Fe 0.09ppm Dtpa

Not exactly lean dosing but thought it might be of interest. Biggest changes from 3 weeks ago are no Urea and the P04 increase and overall Mg increase. N, Fe and traces have actually reduced. This is what I was dosing when it went Pete tong.

N03 8.8ppm
N 0.65ppm (from urea)
P04 1.19ppm
K 6ppm
Mg 0.4ppm
Fe Edta 0.4ppm & Fe dtpa 0.05

I don't grow difficult plants but I can definitely see a big improvement to how these plants looked three weeks ago. Not sure where I go with this dosing regime, may even increase the dose and see how the tank responds. Either way I thought it only fair to give some feedback.

Not the best picture drop, hopefully it will show general health improvement and algae in retreat.

20220222_171530.jpg

New growth at last, no stunting or twisted leaves.
20220214_172050.jpg

20220222_181017.jpg

20220222_181048.jpg

20220222_181404.jpg

Bba in retreat.
20220214_165336.jpg

20220222_181137.jpg

20220222_181155.jpg

Any thoughts why the plants would respond to the above dosing @Happi or @JoshP12

@John q

Ca 2.27
Mg 1.85
No3 8.7ppm
P04 2.18ppm
K 6.39ppm
Mg 0.74ppm
Fe 0.25ppm (from csm+b)
Fe 0.09ppm Dtpa

I just want to make sure this is what you dose per week? and use 100% RO water here? is the 2.27 Ca and 1.85 Mg is what you add per week?

so what happened with this one below??
N03 8.8ppm
N 0.65ppm (from urea)
P04 1.19ppm
K 6ppm
Mg 0.4ppm
Fe Edta 0.4ppm & Fe dtpa 0.05

Back