• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Learned a new English word today...

it makes it a lot easier

I never thought of it, but I can imagine... Sharpening a blade is also best done with a Whetstone lubricated with water during the process (Tho Whet has nothing to do with the water, "Hwett(an)" is Germanic and it means "to sharpen or point"). But water not only lubricates it also is a coolant. The edge of the blade stays cooler and harder. Cutting dry material causes friction needs more energy to cut it, heats the metal and a warm blade gets duller sooner making it even harder to cut. :)

Last edited:
Hi all,
Cutting dry material causes friction needs more energy to cut it, heats the metal and a warm blade gets duller sooner making it even harder to cut
I had a go at scything, I think it would be fair to say that I wasn't a natural (or even semi-competent), but now I'm going to blame the grass ("too dry"), rather than my own incompetence.

On the bright side I still have two legs, which might not have been the case with a sharper blade.

cheers Darrel

I had a go at scything,

Respect!... I only had a look at an old scythe and held it in my hands. It still was pretty sharp and thought no way I'm going to try that... They are very creepy blades...

Hi all,
It still was pretty sharp and thought no way I'm going to try that... They are very creepy blades...
I honestly think that is why people were shorter in the past, they'd all severed their feet with a scythe.

I've seen some-one good at it and they make it look incredibly easy. He told me "an acre" (0.4 hectare) is how much a man could scythe in a day, and that they must have been "blo*dy fit".

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
From Latin "Rōs"
Rōrifer, from rōris ("dew") + ferō (“carry, bear”), +‎ -ous.

Rōris (“dew”) + fluens, present participle of fluere (“to flow”) Fluent.
roriferous - Wiktionary, the free dictionary :)

It says Etymology but since it's Latin it's more like a translation. Latin is a dead language that originated from Ancient Greek.

Dew = δρόσος • (drósos)

Its true etymology probably goes way back from Pre-Greek to Proto-Indo-European back to Sanskrit. But we don't really know...
Thanks marcel. Not words I've heard either. They just seemed a million miles away from the word "dew", so that's why I was curious about the origin/translation. But now you mention it I should have guessed the "fluent" bit.

All this is why I love UKAPS.

Apparently we get the ros- bit of English rosemary from Latin ros marinus (‘wet/drop/dew of the sea’), but I’ve not got the right dictionary to hand to look up anything else, or think about why Rosemary was semantically connected in some way with the sea (does it like salty conditions?)

I smelled something curious about this word and thought let's find out where all this Stank actually originated from because all Germanic, Frankish and Latin languages know it in about the same context. And actually, I'm rather surprised at what it all cognates to, particularly concerning our hobby. (Pond/Stank 'French - Étang, Spanish - Estanque, the Dutch and German know it only for its unpleasant smell)

This "Stank" was brought to Western Europe by the Romans and it derives from the Roman Vulgar Latin "*stancāre" which means "to stand" which again cognates to the Latin word "stagnō" which means "Stagnant" (Not Moving thus Standing).
Still in use in Scots .. meaning a street drain. As in the traditional Glesca song 'he rammed it doon the stank'. Scots preserves a lot of Germanic language that's no longer evidenced in Standard English. 'Fremd', for instance, meaning exactly what it does in German (Scots has instances of 'fremd' as the spelling, but more common in modern Scots is 'fremmet').

why Rosemary was semantically connected in some way with the sea (does it like salty conditions?)
Thank you I didn't know this from Rosemary... :)

It seems that Rosemary has a very long and ancient history it also is found in Ayurvedic medicine history (Traditional Indian/Vedic). In the wild in Europe, it mainly is found in the Mediterranean regions growing as Lithophytic shrubs on sunny spots, also abundantly near the coastlines on the cliffs.

I'm not sure if it prefers salty conditions, from the etymological perspective there isn't much of a clue and the word perhaps is used. But from a botanical perspective, it seems to be a very hardy evergreen that easily survives relatively dry and lithophytic conditions near the coast.

The name Dew from the Sea is probably more meant in a poetic than scientific sense.

When it comes to etymology we also should keep in mind that the languages in ancient times were much less refined and much more primitive with much fewer words than we have today. Such a word as Dew or Ros referred to more concepts than only the droplets formed on a surface in the early morning it also could refer to mist, fog or even smoke. It kind of depended on the wider context it was used. The same goes for the word Sea or Mare, In ancient times it simply referred to a large body of water regardless if it was salt or fresh water. The English word "Moor" etymologically comes from the Latin Mare and it means a body of water or also could be a wetland a peat bog. If the waterbody was large enough so they couldn't see the other shore and needed a boat to reach it it was a Moor.

In the German language, they still say "Meer" to the sea and "See" to a lake.

Still in use in Scots .. meaning a street drain. As in the traditional Glesca song 'he rammed it doon the stank'. Scots preserves a lot of Germanic language that's no longer evidenced in Standard English. 'Fremd', for instance, meaning exactly what it does in German (Scots has instances of 'fremd' as the spelling, but more common in modern Scots is 'fremmet').
From what I learned, the preserved Germanic words in Scottish meanly come from Old Norse / Vikings... Standard English has a lot from the Anglo-Saxons and the Franks.

But in the end, Scandinavian, German and Dutch (And even English) are all Western Germanic languages.

Scottish - Fremmet
Norse - Fremmed
German - Fremd
Dutch - Vreemd

Last edited:
From what I learned, the preserved Germanic words in Scottish meanly come from Old Norse / Vikings... Standard English has a lot from the Anglo-Saxons and the Franks.
above my pay grade .. Michael Dempster would be the man for that. For sure, there are old layers preserved in Scots that either never established n England or have been lost in Standard English. But my impression is that there are more recent layers of Germanic Scots which reflects the North Sea as an early modern culture zone, which England was less part of. Take the Scots name Bremner, for instance (I grew up watching Billy play for Leeds). It's Bremener .. someone from Bremen. Or 'town house', with its modern Germanic cognates, where Standard English would have 'town hall'. That kind of thing just feels too modern to me for it to be Norse or Viking.
It fascinates me too to see how much commonality there is between Scots and Northern English dialect. I write sometimes in Scots and sometimes in Yorkshire dialect; Scots-speaking friends often recognise words that I've used thinking them to be Yorkshire. And there too, there are several distinct layers of cultural or historicaly commonality.

Take the Scots name Bremner, for instance (I grew up watching Billy play for Leeds). It's Bremener .. someone from Bremen.

Bremen is from the Saxon Germanic coastline... As you can see in the image the red coloured region.
Anglo.Saxon.migration.5th.cen.jpg

The Frisian dialect is also a Saxon language, Nowadays it's said that Frisian is most cognate with the English language. Below the river Rhine it's the Frankish (coast) Germanic language continuum... Modern standard Dutch is considered Frankish Germanic, also this had some influences on the English language. This is all from the 5th century and up.

From the 8th to the 15th century Scotland was predominately invaded and settled by the Vikings and some other Scandinavian tribes.

Here is a nice list of words in Scottish and Germanic language equivalents from which can be concluded the Scottish language had some influences from all of them also Saxon but Old Norse is pretty dominant. Actually, they all are pretty much related with some minor differences.

But over the centuries it became pretty complicated... For example, I am from the Frankish-Dutch dialect continuum. And to a pair of trousers, we say "Boks" in my native regional dialect. In Scottish that is "Breeks" and in Norse, it is "Bykse"... Linguistically it doesn't add up to why we in the Frankish continuum all the way down south say "Boks" surrounded by tons of other dialects that rather say "Broek' or "Hose" nobody knows what I mean when I say "Boks" till we get to the Norse "Bykse". "Bykse" and "Boks" are definitively cognates. Looks like the Scottish "Breeks" and the Dutch "Broek" are too... Kinda makes you wonder how it all got mingled up like this...

But me too, I'm not a linguist and not a historian, just interested in History and Languages... :)

Last edited:
Here is a nice list of words in Scottish and Germanic language equivalents from which can be concluded the Scottish language had some influences from all of them also Saxon but Old Norse is pretty dominant. Actually, they all are pretty much related with some minor differences.
new page to me .. looks worth exploring.

But me too, I'm not a linguist and not a historian, just interested in History and Languages... :)
Me neither. Some of this has niggled at me all my life, and some of it has come to mean more to me as I've felt a stronger sense of belonging to Scotland's community of makars / scrievers. There's a political dimension: the Scots experience of language-suppression and the Yorkshire experience of dialect suppression are very similar.

When I was a kid, we never 'played' with friends, we 'laiked'. I remember a schoolteacher telling us off for using such a silly dialect word that nobody would understand apart from in a few small towns to the south of Leeds. As you'll know, the cognates are so widely spread that the teacher's proposition could hardly have been more ridiculous. But as kids, we weren't to know that.

As you'll know, the cognates are so widely spread that the teacher's proposition could hardly have been more ridiculous. But as kids, we weren't to know that.

It indeed is ridiculous, the Dutch took this dialect suppression even a tad further and invented terms for using loanwords or loan translations from fremmet languages. And this started pretty recently around the 19th century, at the end of this century only 10% of the Dutch population spoke standard Dutch, and the rest of the country spoke a "Low German Dialect". In this era, it was called literally translated as "Nederduitsch". To suppress the use of those dialects they invented the term "Germanism" which means words that are directly translated from the neighbouring country German into Dutch. This was considered Silly, Ugly and Improper use of the Dutch language, Post WWII this anti-German idea became even more of an issue.

The best example I have is the word English also known as the German invention and the word "Autobahn" which simply is the correct Germanic noun, we Dutch also know the words "Auto" and "Baan" as correct words. But "Autobaan" as a combination is considered Ugly Germanism and should not be used. The standard Dutch linguists invented a new word combination that says the same (Synonyms) but sounds different, still Germanic words that Germans also know and have but don't use in this fashion. Namely "Auto-baan" is ugly and incorrect Dutch and became "Auto - Snel - Weg" The Germans know "Schnel" and also know "Weg" so it's still Germanic language but they don't say "Auto schnel weg" and that was the goal. Suppress and discourage the German influences in the Dutch language to create a proper self-identity.

Meanwhile, the noun Dutch is derived from Deutsch and Deutsch is German. And speaking proper standard Dutch is still and stays a Germanic dialect.

There are books written about it and we have a crapload of words that are deemed ugly Germanism and even today there are still nationalistic language purists practising this idea and laughing at you when you use words that are deemed Germanism. A teacher still would give you a minus point for using words in this list. They do not realise how silly they actually are with inventing different word combinations that still are Germanic words to create different sounding words than the neighbours would use. Simply to establish their own identity, create hard borders and drive people apart, this is all it does.

Nowadays half a century into the process Germanism went a tad into the background since we also have a lot of Anglicism and Galicism in the Dutch language. Anglicism is loanwords from English such as Kicks, Shop and Cool etc. and Galicism is from French such as Toillet, Trottoir and baguette are adopted as proper standard Dutch.

A lot of dialects are about to go extinct with national language standardization and now groups are standing up and forming to preserve this heritage. And that's a good thing, knowing your dialect and also knowing the standard makes you bilingual and only can encourage people to become polyglots and be less fremd. :)

Last edited:
Back