• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Learning curve

Thanks Lindy. Yes she's Siamese. (",)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Beautiful tank, beautiful cat! This whole setup is very similar to the one I will soon be setting up, I look forward to watching it grow and flourish and hopefully learning a couple of things along the way. Keep this up, it looks like you're off to a really great start :thumbup:

On the third week I added the members of my cleaning crew consisting of 5 amano shrimps and 5 otocinclus.

I found it hard to get a consistent 1 unit decrease in ph with my acrylic diffuser unless I ported the gas directly under the filter intake as suggested by Clive from other thread. I could have left it like this but I was worried that my inhabitants might be sucked into the filter.

a4c2e2a8e4348ff00eba231048403e0c.jpg

Because of this, I installed a 2 way co2 splitter in order to attach an inline diffuser as well. I know that the inline diffuser might already be enough on its own but I like to keep an in tank diffuser as the bubbles are fun to watch.

d15f807a42197790a06a737f1f46c12a.jpg

956e8c39dc26d0f7a131656fc13e4c4e.jpg

Original UP New Inline CO2 Atomizer Diffuser

I can now achieve a full unit decrease of co2 throughout the photoperiod 2 hours before lights on. ;)

On the 4th week, I added some neon tetras and rummy nose tetras.

Now on its fifth week, all plants are growing in nicely but the Alternathera reineckii mini. The old leaves have fallen off and new leaves have emerged (this might be a good sign, I'm not sure). I ordered some more Alternathera reineckii mini off ebay to fill in the gap under the tree. However I am not sure if I received the right plant so I planted them at the back instead. Here is the photo:

d145d44c828df36941a39e74bf7042a2.jpg

Alternathera reineckii 'mini' (-.-)???

Looking great! Once the carpet fills out it should be even better. One small criticism I have is that the moss on the wood is in lots of small clumps across all of the branches, I feel it would look better with fewer clumps. Only a very minor point though.

Hi Tinthree,

I just looked at the picture of your UP Inline Diffuser. I also have one of these in my system.

In your picture the diffuser looks to me as if it is the opposite way around to mine, if I have understood correctly which way the water is flowing. I could be wrong but if the water from the outlet on your filter is flowing upwards, I think the diffuser should be fitted the other way around.

Or maybe it does not make any difference...see picture

http://s654.photobucket.com/user/foxfish_photo/media/20bbe095680742bc68682726f8e46ddd.jpg.html

Last edited:
Personally I like the moss clumps. I can imagine it trimmed bonsai style. I'd start trimming soon though. If you want it more wild looking it will soon join up as it grows.

My inline diffuser is therefore installed opposite way around. To be honest I didn't really know how to install it as I didn't see any instructions in the packaging. :) Thanks Redsteveo for attaching the photograph for future reference. I'm glad to hear that it does not matter which way I install it, thanks Martin.

I'll trim the moss clumps and see what they look like. Then in future I can probably let them join up for a wilder look. (,^^)

Last edited:
Would love to see an update too, catching up on this journal and it must be looking amazing by now! Really like when someone takes the approach to planted tanks well planned out and nicely done :)

Reactions: ADA
Update:

I got this tank looking quite good until February 2015 when it just went downhill as I had a few issues e.g. ran out of CO2 FE for 5 days. I nearly lost all of my plants but the anubias nana bonsai and the spiky moss. This was what it looked like in December 2014.

b1f0082f16124bc60ec094b48e1f08fb.jpg

to this (pic was taken before replanting):

68e7cc9d3555e79db3ef731468f16f44.jpg

At the time I also changed my liquid carbon to easylife from SFE. Somebody told me that this could also be detrimental to my plants if I overdosed on it (which I probably did). Anyway I have just bought some plants and replanted my tank again. I planted cryptocoryne parva, myriophyllum tuberculatum, micranthemum montecarlo and staurogyne repens. This is what it looks like at the moment (day 2 post planting):

249f97c411420b15827239c52fb70044.jpg

Last week before I went for a 6 day holiday I have installed a Jebao auto dosing pump for macro, micro and SFE. I am very pleased that it worked really well as plants were looking good when I arrived home.

7f05ec8f1a920c62eafd880564c23536.jpg
dc5fe48ca5098240680293f0fbc2c441.jpg

I am planning to also make a spray bar and see if it's going to work for my set-up.

Cheers.

Bit of a bummer, but good warts 'n' all update nevertheless...it's been too long;) It'd be great to see how the new planting works out too:)

Apologies for the very late update. I must admit that I lost my motivation a bit when my plants died. I visited 'The Green Machine' on my holiday for some inspiration and bought my plants there too. Crossing my fingers that this will be a success though.

Interesting read. Sorry to hear about the plant loss. I hope you get things up and running again soon. The tank was very beautiful and I'm sure it will be again soon. Great sucess for a first planted tank. Best of luck.

Hi Tinthree, Ho No This was a stunner of a scape:rolleyes::rolleyes:.I am sure you can pull it back from the brink. Looking forward to your updates ;)

Thanks. Yeah I'll definitely keep you all updated.

Interesting read. Sorry to hear about the plant loss. I hope you get things up and running again soon. The tank was very beautiful and I'm sure it will be again soon. Great sucess for a first planted tank. Best of luck.

Thanks Fran. It seems to me that the plants that I have just planted are settling well as they are looking more vibrant (so that's a good sign).

Back