• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED dimmer suggestions?

Worshiper

I have the aqualantis LED lighting but need to reduce the brightness.
The aqualantis dimmer is about £50.00. Can i just buy a cheap one from ebay that will work and not ruin my leds?

Any recommendations?

Depending on what leds are in the unit and how the lights are powered. If the unit simply is connected to a 12 or 24 volt powersuply and is running strips of SMD leds. In that case a simple PWM controller could be sufficient.

I case of high powered cree leds are used the the power increases according the amounts of leds connected, then powersupply needs to dimmable.

Normal SMD led strips are dimmed with pulse width modulation (PWM). In laiman terms, this is dimming with lowering the voltage by switching the led on and off in a verry high pulse frequenty. As long as the PWM controler meets the Watts/Amps needed to run the leds they can be used.

For example i've used a PWM DC motor controler like this to dim led strips :) works like a charme
http://www.banggood.com/6V-90V-15A-...eed-Regulator-Controller-Switch-p-917304.html

Pulse width modulation for controling a DC motor isn't different from controlling a DC led strip. You could control a DC motor with a led dimmer. The difference is in the design and so they call this PWM controler a motor controler and the other PWM controler a led controler. They both have to same output.

Back