• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Led light / Distance from water

Hi

Tank NA 65 complete setup.

I have pretty strong led lights. 4x22w 10000 lumen

Right now they are hanging 40cm above water.

I dont have par meter.

If i lower it. Will light be much stronger ?

Any advise would be helpfull

Attachments

• IMG_6583.JPG
    IMG_6583.JPG
    647.7 KB · Views: 488
It looks kinda dark in your tank. If I were you I would play about with it. Lower it around 10 cm once a week and see if you get increase in algae.

You dont need to measure it (got cash to burn ?) Just need to find what light intensity works for your tank. But you have full adjust over the intensity. Like Ulfsark said if its at 40cm lowering it by 10cm then that doubles the intensity, when its at 30cm lowering it by a further 7.5cm doubles it again. Just divide the distance from the water to the light by "4" that gives you the distance to double the intensity. If the algae starts to show a little just raise it a bit. Get close then small adjustments. Also you can shorten or lengthen your photo period more adjustment.

(edit: sorry this is a off topic ) Where did you get those inlet/outlet pipes from? What are the dimensions? I'm look for SS ones with approx height of 70cm .... I have a very tall tank and sick of glass pipes breaking in my hands....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice tank!
Hard to say without knowing the type of led's...

the light intensity follows the inverse square law. So half the distance and four times the intensity and visa versa
As Zeus said the fisic law of light is true, but be aware that can only be aplied for a single led lamp!

I took some readings, take a look:
http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-power-of-light.43178/

At least you have there Beamswork and Chihiros fixture to have an idea.
If you can put hands on a lux meter, you'll have a very close idea of your PAR values (see table on same topic).
I tested several led's with an apogee and lux meter and found the '47 factor' very consistent.
Hope it helps,
cheers

The first law of light is true, but be aware that can only be applied for a single led lamp!

OFC :facepalm: needs to have point source. So for eg one kessil tuna sun over tank it hold true (relatively), but more than one kessil tuna sun ( or multi point source/tube) it doesn't. Hence your results in your tests :thumbup: nice work BTW

Thnx for replay, will look into it.
Have lowered lights 10cm for now.

I have noticed better growth on substrate lvl.

SS PIPES Came from NA in portogal.

1 question.

If you want mord light at substrate just lower lights.
But algea on higher plants will come for sure.

If you have to few hours of light. Less the 8.
Will this stagbate growth ?

Back