• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Left side heavy scapes?

Worshiper

I suppose it's a matter of choice but is there a reason that most scapes are more heavier focused on the left hand side?
Even many of the two island scapes have larger rocks placed on the left hand side of the aquarium.

Perhaps I have been only looking at those online so thought I'd best check if others have felt the same and knew why thats so 🙃

Hello, very interresting topic :)

Ok it is a matter of choice, especially it depends on the configuration of the room where the tank stands.

But I would say that the "movement" from the left to the right is "natural", especially in the northern hemisphere, where the sun goes from the left to the right during the day, and we write from left to right.

Imagine you take a picture of the moon. Try to put it on the right side, then take another picture with the moon on the left side.
Then look at the two pictures. Which one seems more "natural" ? I guess the one with the moon on the left side. Because your brain shall imagine that the moon will slowly cross the picture from left to right , and you can "follow" the movement. On the other picture, the moon shall disappear quickly because it is already on the right side. More "frustrating"

I think it is more or less the same when we design an aquascape. The movement of the eyes from left to right is more natural than the movement from right to left :)
And placing the higher scape on the left, and the lower on the right will emphasize the movement of the perspective.

Perhaps it depends whether you are left or right handed!
The natural way for right handers to work is from left to right & the opposite for left handers. Reading & writing is left to right meaning things "begin" at the left & tail off to the right.

Ok it is a matter of choice, especially it depends on the configuration of the room where the tank stands.

But I would say that the "movement" from the left to the right is "natural", especially in the northern hemisphere, where the sun goes from the left to the right during the day, and we write from left to right.

Imagine you take a picture of the moon. Try to put it on the right side, then take another picture with the moon on the left side.
Then look at the two pictures. Which one seems more "natural" ? I guess the one with the moon on the left side. Because your brain shall imagine that the moon will slowly cross the picture from left to right , and you can "follow" the movement. On the other picture, the moon shall disappear quickly because it is already on the right side. More "frustrating"

I think it is more or less the same when we design an aquascape. The movement of the eyes from left to right is more natural than the movement from right to left :)
And placing the higher scape on the left, and the lower on the right will emphasize the movement of the perspective.
That's really interesting! Thank you for sharing!
I always assumed its how most people read from left to right(90% countries) but this was such a good read. Thank you @alnitak ! 🙂

Perhaps it depends whether you are left or right handed!
The natural way for right handers to work is from left to right & the opposite for left handers. Reading & writing is left to right meaning things "begin" at the left & tail off to the right.
Yes i felt it was more of a choice thing. I am left handed but somehow felt a right dominated scape was always a bit off 🙂. Well, i just moved to a new house and the tank will be viewed from the left side and front so contimplating a right hand side heavy scape but can't get myself to do it 😁

I think, if the tank will be viewed from left and front, then a right hand heavy scape should work. One of mine is viewed from left and front too, and whilst not obviously right hand heavy, when the plants grow in on the right, it will be leaning that way. Excuse the quickly taken photo!
20230504_143956.jpg

I think, if the tank will be viewed from left and front, then a right hand heavy scape should work. One of mine is viewed from left and front too, and whilst not obviously right hand heavy, when the plants grow in on the right, it will be leaning that way. Excuse the quickly taken photo!
View attachment 204823
Thanks @Myrtle. That's good. I suppose a peninsula style scape would work too. I was just very intrigued when I started looking for inspiration online that they were mostly left side heavy.

Sed contra, I live in the Southern Hemisphere and I, too, have notices we unconsciously place stuff on the left side. At least, the aquariums I've set up, and a couple of friends.

Well, we left handers are supposed to be more artistic 🎨🖌️ @Worshiper so I'm sure you'll come up with a scape to suit the tank's positioning!
I keep nano jungle tanks so all sides are similar with a jumble of plants to view!

Back