• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Leopard Cory Looking Pale?

I treat the water, and I try to keep the temp similar but if I'm honest no, I've never monitored the temp closed. How can I match the temps?

Also, can you treat the waonce added to the tank (the added water volume).

I treat the water, and I try to keep the temp similar but if I'm honest no, I've never monitored the temp closed. How can I match the temps?
If you haven't already, I'd recommend picking up a thermometer probe. You can get cheap cooking probes on amazon that are accurate, just double check they're compatible with water - all/most of them should be. Then you can just take the temperature of the tank, and match the new water to it.

If you're using tap water, then you can obviously just adjust the temperature of the new water this way, but If you're not using tap water (such as using RO water), then you may need to pick up a second heater to warm up the new water.
Also, can you treat the waonce added to the tank (the added water volume).
Ehhhh, I would be cautious when doing this. If you're doing water changes with buckets then I'd recommend just treating the new water before it goes in the tank. If you're using a water changer like the python hose, then you can treat the water at the same time (I used to do this myself). I would use a syringe to draw up a generous amount of Seachem's Prime, and add small drops every now and then as the tank filled up. This worked fine. If possible though, it really is best to treat the water before adding it.

Fish seem ok today. Have fed them less and did a 30 litre water change. I could only do that much as ran out of water conditioner but it arrived tomorrow and I'll be doing a bigger change as need to move tank anyway!

Fish are doing fine but today has gone wrong.

Moved tank so had to transfer fish to a bucket with airstones in. Drained large portion of water, turned heater and filter off, moved tank, put new stronger board beneath tank, filled back up and went to put filter back in, but found it had literally melted. The heater hadn't cooled down and so now filter and hearer are goners.

Had to put old filter and heater in but they aren't strong enough for this tank. Desperately hoping it comes back up to temp so I can reintroduce fish.

Obviously will buy new filter and heater but until then? Hope fish don'suffer.

got a full tank shot?

Oh sorry here

Attachments

• 20230413_143353.jpg
    20230413_143353.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 100
Sorry to hear about the filter melt 😨
Was it one of those Oase filters with the heater built in? Ive heard the heater needs to be plugged out well in advance of turning the filter off, otherwise it cooks the water and/or filter :nailbiting:
Seems like a bit of a design flaw on a heated filter tbh, who has the foresight for that sort of thing? I sure dont :oops:

If you could get a replacement filter that would hold the filtermedia from your deceased filter that would be ideal, this way the setback would be minimal.
Having the water heated to a sensible temperature is of course priority one though.

Also I hate to rain on an already pretty rainy parade, but are you doing some improvised plant stocking in your tank? I see at least two non aquatic plant species in there, that may barely survive for a few weeks or so, but then they will start rotting and fouling the water. Ophiopogon japonicus ("Mondo Grass") and Chamaedorea elegans ("Parlor Palm").
On the other hand, if someone sold you those as aquarium plants then I would get quite irritated with them. A full refund would be in order.
These kinds of plants will barely grow before dying, and wont give the benefits that geniune aquarium plants will give.

The heater, even if it's smaller should be able to keep a similar temperature to the old one unless you live in a really cold house. The old filter should be fine for the bioload provided you use cycled media.

The plants will help a little but I do notice that you have a couple that are not true aquatics, parlour palm and mondo grass, and in the long run you would be better swapping these out for true aquatics.

Edit, I was typing at the same time as hufsa, and it seems great minds think alike.

Yes the plants were from an etsy shop sold as aquatic plants, could you circle which ones aren't aquatic? I've put the filter media into my older filter for now

And thank you both! The water was about 18 degrees when I last checked. Just popped out and hoping it'll have gone up.

Was meant to be buying more fish today but will put that off until his tank is back in full working order.

Yes the plants were from an etsy shop sold as aquatic plants, could you circle which ones aren't aquatic?
20230413_143353 2.jpg

Im seeing one stand of Parlor Palm and five bits of Mondo grass, there could be more plants but we would need better pictures.
Selling these as aquatic is a total scam and I encourage you to immediately ask the seller for a full refund. If Etsy has a report function I would pursue this as well.
If they start arguing you can refer them to the experience of the UKAPS userbase and this thread. I provided latin names as well as common names, so it can be easily proven that these are not aquatic plants.

Shame on them.

Don't worry about the plants, there are lots of us who have done the exact same thing in the past, although thankfully it's not such a big problem today (lfs used to be full of them).

It's worth having a look at this link

and those plants still look good and can grow with just their roots in the water fine, which will help the tank.

Was meant to be buying more fish today but will put that off until his tank is back in full working order.
Hold of buying anything for a while yet. The tank looks very fresh and new still plus you are still having issues with your corydoras.

I’m a little confused, was this already set up and you drained it to move it? Or is this a new set up?

If the fish are still out of the tank, remember that they will need acclimating to the new water conditions. If the tank is still cold then you can boil some water and mix it in a bucket with a little cold to bring the temperature in the tank up a bit. Just add a small amount at a time until the temperature is normal for them, then the heater will hopefully keep it there.

Thanks guys. You're so knowledgeable. Essentially I did a huge water change, to enable the tank to be light enough for me to move and put a more solid board beneath it. I transfered fish to a bucket whilst doing this encase anything went wrong. I treated the new water with seachem prime, and moved the fish back to the tank when the water in their bucket was colder than the tank.

On way home and will see what The temp is.

The seller has asked me to send them back all plants for a full refund

Back