• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lid or no lid?

Hi,
Open topped tanks have poorer CO2 and O2 retention than do closed lid tanks. This may or may not be a big deal. Open topped tanks also have higher evaporation rates which can be problematic if one spends a lot of time away from home. Higher heating energy is also a potential disadvantage, although the differences may be negligible, depending on where the tank sits. As stated above, jumping fish are less likely to survive an open tank.

Cheers,

hotweldfire said:
I would like an open one and some emersed growth but am terrified of my 2 year old daughter finding her favourite fish on the floor in the morning. Have heard too many horror stories of suicidal shrimp and fish.

Just rescued a Yamato shrimp last night. My cat was staring at it. I've lost quite a few fish that way too, but the cat eats it. It doesn't eat the shrimp for some reason.

It does a look a lot nicer (to me) without a hood though.

My next tank will be open top but only because its a pain in the back side doing water changes etc with my modded lids.

photo10_day3.jpg

I find I get almost no evaporation with the tight fitting lid on my Fluval Profile. I've also noticed much less Co2 dissipation with the lid on (meaning a few hours less injection required, saves a bit of gas in the long run). I’ve got a shoal of hatchet fish so open is not really an option for me!

I think your chosen fish and your cat decide whether it's "Lid or no lid" :)
IMHO I like them both and have them both, but I'm more willing to work on scaping in a no lid as I'm to lazy to lift it. :)
And yes, I do have hatchets too :lol:

Mike

Hi all,
I like a lid, although usually I just have a perspex sheet or glass sliders on bigger tanks, mainly because it lowers evaporation. If I had a fish house with space heating I'd probably go lidless, and just have a lower water level, this would allow me to grow emersed for things like Cyperus, some Crinums, Echinodorus etc.

I like the Orchid, is it an Oncidium? I used to have a Cambria about that colour, but I neglected it when the girl child was little and killed it off.

cheers Darrel

Open top adds a whole new perspective & dimension. :)

I guesse it depends on the tanks situation as to whether you would get the benefit of being able to easily view it form above.

My tank is open but I also have a surface overflow to my sump this means evaporation is very high as the whole tanks contents is exposed to air every 10 mins as it goes down the overflow!
I loose about 25lts a week but I also have an auto top up valve in the sump so the only issue is C02 loss - still not an issue for me.

Back