• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lido Journal... Name to Follow When I Can Think Of One

Ben M

Hi, my brother has a Juwel Lido 120. i do all of the scaping and maintenance side of it. it is quite heavily planted, and is looking quite good IMHO. the plants are growing well, although there are some holes appearing in the leaves of the Hygrophila:

IMG_0400.jpg

i seem to recall that that means a lack of potassium? am i correct in thinking that, and if so should i double the potassium nitrate that i'm dosing?

also, my brother thinks that the filter looks rubbish. there isn't the option of removing it, as we don't have the money for a new filter. however, after it trimmed the moss i accidentally left a bit floating about, and it got stuck on the filter inlet. within 2 weeks it was clinging onto it quite well (although i had to move it as it was blocking the inlet). would it be an idea to tie some Taiwan moss to it? and how would you suggest tying it on? it would be very tricky using cotton, and i don't want to glue it. could i stick a few twigs infront of it with the moss tied into them and let it grow onto the filter? i have some spare beech that i am soaking for my nano shrimp tank that i could use?

other than that everything is going well. i'm not too sure on the rock placement (it looked good until my brother changed it around a week ago. and then the kribs laid some more eggs on them so we can't alter it yet).

Lighting - Standard high-lite (48w t5).
Heating - 100w Juwel Heater.
Substrate - Play sand.
Ferts/Co2 - EI ferts, no co2.

Plants - Hygrophila polysperma, Limnophila sessiliflora, Rotala rotundifolia, Cryptocoryne wendtii brown, Taiwan moss and a moss ball.

Fish - 1 breeding pair of kribensis + approx. 20 fry + eggs, 5 tiger barbs, 8 cherry barbs, 5 glowlight tetras and 10 silvertip tetras.

A few pics with my new canon eos 1000d. :D :

IMG_0355.jpg

IMG_0375.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

so, what do you think?

criticism is very welcome as always :D

I really like this Pest control,

Looks great, no fancy substrate, no massive pricey external or halide or co2, and some very exciting fish.
I've been tempted to do a really low tech black water with appisto's and a skooling fish, would like tiger barbs but there
asian right? They look and act like they should be in the amazon haha, my jack dempsey pair occupy the tank atm so its a no go haaha.

As for the mossy filter, I have used sheet of mesh(plastic) laid the moss onto this sewn it with fishing line and then suckers attached to the tank, or in this case you filter, and then pushed the mesh onto this and there you go :)
Make sure u have suckers with a dome end so the the mesh fits over it but can't be pulled off. :)

I may have some left over if I do ill send you it 8)

Ryan.

Hi Ryan, thanks for the reply. The tiger barb is Asian, but i agree it seems more amazonish. :lol: i think the lido is a great tank, especially because of the lighting. it is much better than my t8's in my rena. i think that apisto tank would look great if you get to try it. :thumbup:

thanks for the advise on the moss wall for the filter. I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know if you have any spare. :D

cheers :thumbup:

no problemo, im not going to be home for the next day or 2 so ill let you know on the weekend.

apisto's are great i had a pair in a 60cm but i went away for 2week and left it in the hands of my brother who had never kept fish haha, i came back and he had been feeding them hikari pro medium, wich was trhe size of there heads haha, this messsed with the watter that with leaving the lights on for days ment i came home to a alqae death soup :(

yeh the tank looks great keep up the good work i bet your bro appreciates it

Ryan.

looking good matey ;) .
nice brother you have letting you do all the work while he gets all the pleasure from it :lol: .
or is it you being crafty to get another tank :shh: .

nayr88 said:
no problemo, im not going to be home for the next day or 2 so ill let you know on the weekend.

apisto's are great i had a pair in a 60cm but i went away for 2week and left it in the hands of my brother who had never kept fish haha, i came back and he had been feeding them hikari pro medium, wich was trhe size of there heads haha, this messsed with the watter that with leaving the lights on for days ment i came home to a alqae death soup :(

yeh the tank looks great keep up the good work i bet your bro appreciates it

Ryan.

thanks for that! :thumbup: I'd like to try apisto's at some point, i like the kribs, but i think the apisto's are a much nicer fish. shame about your 60cm, a bit of bad luck. :(

my brother does appreciate the work, but he sometimes gets sudden 'great ideas', which afterwards he agrees i should repair. :lol:

nelson said:
looking good matey ;) .
nice brother you have letting you do all the work while he gets all the pleasure from it :lol: .
i don't really mind really, as i like doing the work. :thumbup:

nelson said:
or is it you being crafty to get another tank :shh: .
i think there is a bit of that as well lol. :lol:

i'm just glad i persuaded him to get the lido instead of a biorb for goldfish!! :eek:

I'll update with some more pics soon.

cheers :D

Back