• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Life expectancy of aquarium silicone ?

I was in my locale builders supply shop yesterday and took a couple of photos, the tubes range in price from £3.50 - £22.
IMG_2059.jpeg
IMG_2060.jpeg

I have two 75 gal tanks in continuous use for 30+ years, one 125 gal and 75 gal in continuous use for 20 years, still holding water with no leak. Previously I owned a new 10 gal tank and a used 30 gal tanks that leaked after a couple years. I have no clue if there is a finite life expectancy for silicone. Poor workmanship, improper stand and tall tanks are likely more vulnerable factors for leak than age of silicone.

To clarify that tall tanks meant 24 inch and above or any disproportionally tall dimensions. Tall tanks are vulnerable leaker due to high water pressure. A lfs near me set up a 30 inch tall big tank for barely one year and one night it leaked water all over the floor. All my 75 to 125 gal tanks are 20 inch high, and ancient. I pray that they will never leak as couple are placed on vulnerable living area, and I have no plan to retire them for their old age..

Last edited:
Back