• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light-->CO2--->Nutrients = Plant Growth

faizal

I know now that Light sets the pace for it all.

Light--> CO2--> Nutrients = Plant Growth

With respect to the above equation,...if we have low light levels but high co2 levels for the respective lighting ,...we need to add more nutrients to balance things out for normal healthy growth. Otherwise the plants can suffer & we might end up with nutrient related algae problems. Please correct me if I am wrong

Now if I have a low light tank,....considering my other parameters are okay,..meaning :
1. Proper co2 introduction technique using inline UP Aqua atomizer
2. Proper Spray bar mounting along the entire back wall of the tank
3. DC is lime green when lights come on
4. Flow is 10 times tank volume (i.e. the combined filter GPH rating that I use for my tank)
5. EI dosing for my tank in accordance with my tank volume
6. No distrupting hardscapes affecting the flow

Now CO2 being the most difficult parameter to assess,....how does one know if he/she is having too much co2 for the given light level in the tank. I know that fishes show signs of hypoxia & swim lethargically near the surface and can appear dull but other than this ,....is there any other way of knowing if our co2 is too high for our given light level?

I could probably buy a used car here for the price of a co2 meter,...so it isn't practical for someone like me.

I guess the more you read,...the more questions start popping up in your head. :lol:

Light-->CO2--->Nutrients = Plant Growth

I think that as long as the plants are healthy and fish/inverts are not showing signs of too much gas and you have no co2 related algae then why worry?
As you say your DC is lime at lights on then co2 levels are fine
Light drives the speed of growth
I run my tank with high co2 and high ferts but low-medium lighting and all is well no algae issues I just sit back and enjoy my tank
And the slower growth means less maintenance
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In regard to plants and don't think there is such thing as "too much" Co2. There is a point when Co2 becomes "unlimited", as in beyond the demands of the plants but I don't think that this causes any problems to the plants themselves. This is what we are aiming to do with EI fertilisation, so that the plants have an "unlimited" supply of ferts so they do not need for any.

The only restriction that we have on the amount of Co2 we add is it's affects on the fauna in the tank.

mdhardy01 said:
I think that as long as the plants are healthy and fish/inverts are not showing signs of too much gas and you have no co2 related algae then why worry?
As you say your DC is lime at lights on then co2 levels are fine
Light drives the speed of growth
I run my tank with high co2 and high ferts but low-medium lighting and all is well no algae issues I just sit back and enjoy my tank
And the slower growth means less maintenance
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Matt :) When you mentioned high ferts what levels are you talking about ( is it EI Levels or more than EI levels)?

Bobtastic said:
In regard to plants and don't think there is such thing as "too much" Co2. There is a point when Co2 becomes "unlimited", as in beyond the demands of the plants but I don't think that this causes any problems to the plants themselves. This is what we are aiming to do with EI fertilisation, so that the plants have an "unlimited" supply of ferts so they do not need for any.

The only restriction that we have on the amount of Co2 we add is it's affects on the fauna in the tank.

:oops: I wish I had read that prior to answering the previous post!!

So if I have Low Light & high corresponding levels of co2 for that light level,....and if I dose EI then I have nothing to worry about with respect to nutrient coverage?

Okay ,..that's what I wanted to know
Thanks Bob
:)

Back