• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light Compensation Point to some plants species

Victor

Hi, guys! Do you know what the light compensation point (in µmol / mˉ² sˉ¹) of pogostemon helferi and glossostigma elatinoides? Or just post the LCP of others plants you know. Thank you.

Hi Victor...interesting post what's the thought process behind it?
LCP of a given species - and amongst individuals of the same species - often varies depending on a number of factors, not least environmental conditions. For instance, CO2 conc influences LCP - high CO2 conc will lower LCP.

I have some glossostigmas and they are growing glassy and upwards. They are growing so I think they are above LCP. I thought could be insuficient light because I'm running with only 2 x 30 w T8 tubes (with reflectors) over a 200 cm x 40 cm 45 cm (height) tank. Check out the videos below:

And here are the glossos 1 week later:

This annoying surface film is getting me crazy. I already bought materials to do 3 diy surface skimmers. I'm blasting the glossos with a massive CO2 amount. There are three atomizers each one with 2 bps in the tank linked directly to spraybars where the gas outs. These symptoms are still CO2 related? Thank you.

Search some posts from MarcelG he posted some data sheets with LCP numbers of several sp. Maybe you could drop him a line, i remeber him saying he has more of this data, he might be able to help you. HAven't seen him around a lot lately, he might be bussy.. :)

For the rest i'm with Troy and also think hobby whise there isn't much to gain from these numbers (if it wasn't for some biology science study). It's not only meeting up with the LCP it also needs other factors meeting up with it. If one of these factors is out of place or just different, you still might get totaly different results under the same light.
As i experienced myself with for example Blyxa, i planted some arleady submersed grown and allmost all of it melted away and it refuses to root and looking rather unhealty. It's a fairly low light tank, i thought i don't meet the light it needs.. But i aquired some new blyxa from an other supplier, put it next to it and this grows like there is nothing wrong. It were unrooted cuttings and it grew healthy roots within 10 days? Don't ask me why, i dunno, but obviously it wasn't the light, nor the substrate making the blyxa melt and the other grow on the same spot. :shifty::crazy:

Another recent example i experienced with some crypt. Have a relatively high light tank with co2 and a less light tank without co2. Put the same crypt from the same pot in both tanks. In the high light co2 tank all melted away. In the non co2 low light tank it didn't melt at all and started growing straight away. Same plant, from same pot totaly opposite results.

Last edited:
As i experienced myself with for example Blyxa, i planted some arleady submersed grown and allmost all of it melted away and it refuses to root and looking rather unhealty. It's a fairly low light tank, i thought i don't meet the light it needs.. But i aquired some new blyxa from an other supplier, put it next to it and this grows like there is nothing wrong
This is so wierd! I'm quite curious to know why
Another recent example i experienced with some crypt. Have a relatively high light tank with co2 and a less light tank without co2. Put the same crypt from the same pot in both tanks. In the high light co2 tank all melted away. In the non co2 low light tank it didn't melt at all and started growing straight away. Same plant, from same pot totaly opposite results.
Nice experience! Maybe the plants from first tank aren't adapted to reiceve too much light to respective CO2 level?

Nice experience! Maybe the plants from first tank aren't adapted to reiceve too much light to respective CO2 level?

I realy have no idea :) But crypts are indeed notorious to melt when condotions drasticaly change.. In a way it actualy would be contradictive, since the plant was emersed propagated as most plants are when you buy them. Then you would rather asume the plant placed in a tank with added co2 is closer to the conditions it was in previously in the tank without added co2. In this case its a crypt usteriana, which is stated to be medium light instead of low light plant. In the co2 it completely melted away and didn't show new growth yet.

Actualy also added crypt albida brown from the same pot in both tanks, both melted, but in the low light non co2 it recovered sooner and grows better than in the co2 in a somewhat shaded spot and that's a tipical low light crypt. :)

Only other difference in the 2 tanks are the substrate.. The co2 tank has akadama and the non co2 has fuji sand.. Both inert and for both use the same roottabs as fert.
And i use ketapang (almond) leaves in the non co2. Maybe that does something, i use it in that tank to help the UG on some extra food. And co2 tank has Opuwa wood, wich releases much less tanines than the Mopani wood in the non co2 which leaches massive amounts of tanines. But that still says nothing about why in the non co2 tank the blyxa from one suppliers dies and from the other grows.. ???

Back