• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light fixture for 54l

Lech

Seedling
Hi all
I have 54l Juwel tank running from about 3 months now. I had few ups and downs but in general i feel need for something better (and nicer) that currently i have. To the point:
Because i had only t8 15w which is pretty low i decided to add some extra light. Juwel monolux cover (i think its the right name) is not the best in my opinion in terms of design and space that is available to eventual upgrades (or its just beyond my DIY skills). I wanted some nice,neat and cheap solution. In my work i have access to interior led lights used in automotive industry. They come in form of strip of 30 or 60cm long. I don't have any tech spec of them apart from LUX values measured at 1m from lamp which is respectively: 30cm version - 62lux and 60cm - 130lux. I don't know if those leds are even suitable for plants. So after modification hood looks like this.
20140907_131605_zpsbfa71813.jpg

After modification (3x30cm led used) i decided to use those light only for period of 2 weeks to see how it will work. There was no any fertilization used then. In effect hygrophila corymbosa "Kompakt" melted completely and echinodorus cordifolius "mini" start showing signs of deficiency in forms of yellowish leafes ends and holes.
20140907_131333_zps5dd22859.jpg

20140907_131254_zpsc2af539c.jpg

Hygrophilia melted in similiar way - first lots of tiny holes and then leaves went transparent. On anubias i got spot algae.
20140907_131153_zps58fffa4d.jpg

So i changed routine with light. I went back to use t8 for a period of 9 hours with a use of led's in the middle of the photo period for 2.5h and i start dosing easycarbo at 2ml per day and Tropica plant growth specialized fert (green one) at 1 "pump" (as per label) 5 times a week.

Its bit better now but still long way ahead where i want to be. Anubias have new growth without spot algae, echindorus have only 2 or 3 leaves showing problem with lack of something (i don't have idea what is it), alternanthera reineckii "mini" shows new growth without algae as well (during that 2 week period with only led used it was covered with algae).
I'm bit worried because my floating lettuce looks like this
20140907_131632_zps51fa58d3.jpg

so its again "yellowish" leaves but still better comparing to that 2 weeks period with only leds used
2014-08-02144909_zpse05ff4ef.jpg

Recently i added some moss attached to bog wood - samples i got wasn't best ones but once it will hopefully grow i will do something with it.

In the aquarium i have JBL aquabasis+ topped with manado. I'm doing 50% water change weekly, then after i'm adding 10ml of potassium + 5 pumps weekly of tropica fert and 2ml easycarbo daily. Filtrations in form crystalprofi e701 with a spray bar at the rear pointed toward front.
Lights: 7 months old sylvania grolux 10k + 3 strips of 30cm led strips
Life stock is 9 long fin white cloud minnow, 4 albino corys, 4 amano shrimps and 3 otocinclus.

Tank atm looks like this:
20140907_131142_zps052d3b77.jpg

My budget is bit limited but t8 bulb probably have to be changed so for sake of extra 40 euro I was thinking of upgrading my lights to 2x24 t5HO (im aware of fact that more lights means more co2 and ferts demand)
If i will buy that light fixture will i have to use proper co2 setup or easycarbo will be enough. Same about other ferts. Or shall i stick with my current setup and with Your help try to reach "equilibrium" ?

p.s I'm sorry for bit chaotic post but hopefully You will be able to get whole picture :)

Regards
Lech

I didn't specified - if i will change cover it has to be ready to go solution - i could rip everything from my existing one and put there something else but I'm afraid it wont be aesthetic. In your opinion if i will change light to 2x24w easycarbo as main source of carbon will be enough?

I can't say for sure about easycarbo, never run the tank only on it. Although I heard some people don't use CO2 and run hi-tech tanks with easycarbo only. If I were you I'd run simple yeast-based CO2 generator.
If you need read to go solution I think you can buy cheap Sun-Sun light unit HDD-600B or something similar.

I think 1*24watt t5 would be more than enough. Why make it more difficult than you need to by nuking with so much light? One tmc aquabar 500 would be good on this tank and you can get a dimmer for it too for only £13.99. I've just fitted one to an 80cm tank and it is more than enough and better coverage than a bulb.

Yeah I was thinking about 1x24 myself because that would be roughly 0.5W/l. Problem I have is that I'm trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. I wanted something that I could use also in future on slightly bigger tank (light have extendable brackets up to 80cm) and I hoped that I get away with that 2x24 light fixture and easy carbo. Other option is to cover one of bulbs or just take it off if that's possible

I'm sure Clive will forgive me besides now instead of that fixture with 2x24 I have to get one 24w bulb and weld some nice aluminium frame... And I hoped there will be no DIY involved :D

Back