• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light for 150*50*50 aquarium, a little help

bpalhares

Seedling
Hi guys

I'm buying a 150*50*50 aquarium and i am a little lost about lighting.
The aquarium is gonna be well planted, with a carpet of probably Monte Carlo, Cuba or Glosso.
I'm going to use CO2 in some way.

I was considering the Fluval Plant 3.0 LED.

Think i'm gonna be ok with this lamp?
Any other sugestion around the same cost?

I have no problem in going with two lights side by side, instead of just one light if it justifies...

Thanks!

First bit of advice may be to decide on the carpet species? Monte Carlo and Glosso have decidedly different lights requirements, for example (glosso needs a lot) at least in my experience.
That being said I have nothing that big, but I have a Chihiros WRGB 2 90cm on a 80cm tank and it's great. I'd imagine two of them on your 150 would be great, if it fits with your kind of tank.

Envoyé de mon KB2003 en utilisant Tapatalk

Personally I’d recommend against the Fluval Plant - it’s a very narrow light, and won’t do well in a 50cm wide tank.

If you have a decent budget, the WRGB II as @Tom Delattre suggests, or better yet a pair of Vivid II’s would be my pick currently. Though in both cases you may need to raise them up a bit to give sufficient spread.

Hi guys

I'm buying a 150*50*50 aquarium and i am a little lost about lighting.
The aquarium is gonna be well planted, with a carpet of probably Monte Carlo, Cuba or Glosso.
I'm going to use CO2 in some way.

I was considering the Fluval Plant 3.0 LED.

Think i'm gonna be ok with this lamp?
Any other sugestion around the same cost?

I have no problem in going with two lights side by side, instead of just one light if it justifies...

Thanks!
First decide on your needs/wants.
Then how you want to mount it
Biggest issue as I se it is effectively lighting the tank well left to right since few 150cm "light bars" are made.

So I went w/ something for you to ponder on..
Amazon UK carries the saltwater version..Posted to sort of add a price comparison in pounds
Amazon product ASIN B06XBCNS1PTank or rim mounted..
Direct from China so there is that.
High power
Unfortunately fans..BUT there is a lower powered fan-less variant.

Using a 122cm light on a 150cm tank isn't ideal and yes 2 would be recommended for higher light and broader front/back coverage
$424 pounds.. Sorry , I'm a yank.
Gives one a price range.

just another idea..
Amazon product ASIN B075QC59BL
As mentioned above hanging a few LED floods is a lot cheaper but plays into what are your defined needs/wants.

First decide on your needs/wants.
Then how you want to mount it
Biggest issue as I se it is effectively lighting the tank well left to right since few 150cm "light bars" are made.

So I went w/ something for you to ponder on..
Amazon UK carries the saltwater version..Posted to sort of add a price comparison in pounds
Amazon product ASIN B06XBCNS1PTank or rim mounted..
Direct from China so there is that.
High power
Unfortunately fans..BUT there is a lower powered fan-less variant.

Using a 122cm light on a 150cm tank isn't ideal and yes 2 would be recommended for higher light and broader front/back coverage
$424 pounds.. Sorry , I'm a yank.
Gives one a price range.

just another idea..
Amazon product ASIN B075QC59BL
As mentioned above hanging a few LED floods is a lot cheaper but plays into what are your defined needs/wants.
Love the look of those lominie lights, for that open top shimmer effect...

First of all thank you all for your inputs.

As for the carpet, i'm probably going for the glosso, i like it more.

I have no problem going with two lights side by side or one in front of the other, but... budget is not that high... I can go for 250/300€ (215/260£) but that's my top budget.

Been looking at the Chihiros LED A801 Plus, perhaps putting two side by side but cannot find it anyware for sale. If the price is between A601 and A901 I could buy two of them.

Very similar dimensions to my tank Olympus is calling, which I had a very successful carpet with. I spent over £1000.00 on lights. As Darrel suggested 'Filip' did well with his 2000 litre beast with his lights so well worth a look at. You also mention CO2 injection which IMO/IME needs to be done well with a deep big tank and good flow in the tank. With a good pH drop 1.0pH+ and good flow/turnover you will be able to grow a carpet better at depth, as its not just the power of the light its also getting the CO2 enriched water to the substrate level.

Back